Procedural Cave Generation not showing on display

I am a total newbie. Second day working with Unity Game Engine.

Environment:
I am Using Windows 8.1 and Visual Studio 2015 Enterprize.

Problem:
I am trying to follow the Procedural Cavern generation Tutorial and I am on Step 1. I have successfully generated the Cellular Automata and can run it and get 0’s and 1’s in the basic map array. I also can trace through the code and see the map being scanned and generating gizmo colors and drawing cubes on the gizmo object.

However in the Unity IDE when viewing the scene and the game windows I do not see any output.

Am I missing sime initial setup to attach something to the scene that is taken for granted in the tutorial?

I am totally mystified. I cannot understand why the game is not displaying the gizmo’s that I am drawing. Whatever a gizmo is supposed to be.

Here is the Code that is supposedly drawing the generated array of bits to the screen.

void OnDrawGizmos() {

if (map != null) {

for (int x = 0; x < width; x ++) {

for (int y = 0; y < height; y ++) {

Gizmos.color = (map[x,y] == 1)?Color.black:Color.white;

Vector3 pos = new Vector3(-width/2 + x + .5f,0, -height/2 + y+.5f);

Gizmos.DrawCube(pos,Vector3.one);

}

}

}

}

@dpthayer

I just had the same problem, but for me the problem was rather silly: I misspelled Start(). In Unity functions lead with a capital and I used start().

Along the way of finding this out, I did a couple of things that might be of help:

1. In the scene view I had to rotate the view to be in the top view by deselecting orthographic mode (2D button just below the scene tab) and clicking on the green y axis on the small block.
  2. Check that the Random fill percent isn’t on 0.

Hope this is helpful to someone.