Procedural isometric tile map

Hello guys,

i have a questions about how to implement an isometric tile map via code.

Im not sure what is the correct approach:

i already have a grid of squares made with vertices and triangles to only generate on mesh to make things smooth. (how to: create a four vertex, two tri square polygon in Unity Editor or Script? - Unity Answers)

At this point im totally unsure how i can make this isometric.

My ideas are:

• Just make an isometric camera and let the map be rectangular
  • Make tisometric Textures and leave the map build up on squares
  • Generate the vertices in such a form so i have isometric looking squares

I want to have a 2d tilemap with 3d models like the player or trees, enemies etc.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Hayabusa

“I want to have a 2d tilemap with 3d models like the player or trees, enemies etc.”

This is a difficult problem. I know this because I built this system.

I recommend for you to use it, since Tiled to Unity is the only pipeline that I know of that handles 3d geometry tiled maps (and is why I built it).

In your case you would make your ground tiles just 2D quads since you want a 2D ground, UV’d to the appropriate space on the texture, then you would make prefabs of every kind of thing that those tiles can spawn. The tutorials I made will show you how to assemble it all.

Then making and tweaking maps is easy with the Tiled editor. (I personally would make a normal square map in Tiled, and then just create an isometric camera)

Best of luck! if you decide to use it, feel free to ask if run into problems.

EDIT:
OH and to make it procedural… basically I would make various small maps sections in Tiled that all can fit together to each other. To make a true procedural map generator will be much much more work… but of course everything is possible. It’s just a question of time.