Really big iOS release

Hi All,
I build a iOS app from unity. but my ipa seems is almost 70mb , it really to large for me.
after that I try to build a empty project in unity. the ipa is smaller , but the app file is nearly the same as my project.

then I found there is a file named “libiPhone-lib.a” this one appears 336mb .

anyone can tell me how can I reduce my app size , it seems the demo ipas from unity are not so large like “angrybots”

I have the same problem where libiPhone-lib.a is way too big(321mb). Help will be kindly appreciate. :slight_smile:

Thank you

This is an old post, but with no solution so here’s mine;

Go to Build Settings and check: Symlink Unity Libraries.

You’ll find your build size folder drop down to normal levels.

Share from Unity Teachnology:

I created empty project with Unity 5.3.4p1. Archived it in Xcode 7.3 and exported with distribution profile for App Store deployment and did following analysis…

• IPA size was: 159MB (Unity-iPhone.ipa)
    Then I extracted it and got following folders:

• 18MB BCSymbolMaps (these are symbol files supporting Bitcode, won’t be delivered to end user)

• 243MB Payload (includes game assets, extra files and executable, which was 238M)

• 58MB Symbols (these are symbol files, won’t be delivered to end user)
    Now I had to analyze Payload, which was mostly executable + standard engine assets. Since assets were only ~5 MB, I won’t dig into that, but rather focus on executable. I analyzed it with otool, by running it twice: 1) otool -arch armv7 -l exec_name, 2) otool -arch arm64 -l exec_name. Then I checked included segment sizes:

1. armv7:
    1. TEXT segment (code): 7.5 MB
    2. DATA segment (various static fields for code and il2cpp metadata): 0.3 MB
    3. LLVM (Bitcode) segment: 111.1 MB (will be stripped by Apple servers and won’t be delivered to end users).
    4. LINKEDIT (linking with dynamic libraries) segment: 0.9 MB
  2. arm64:
    1. TEXT segment (code): 8.4 MB
    2. DATA segment (various static fields for code and il2cpp metadata): 0.5 MB
    3. LLVM (Bitcode) segment: 110.2 MB (will be stripped by Apple servers and won’t be delivered to end users).
    4. LINKEDIT (linking with dynamic libraries) segment: 0.8 MB
      Exec size without Bitcode for armv7 is 8.7 MB and for arm64 it is 9.7 MB.
      Total exec size without Bitcode: 18.4 MB
      Estimated installation size (exec + assets): 23.4 MB
      Expected download size without app thinning : 1.25 MB (compressed assets) + 15.9 MB (TEXT segment, which doesn’t compress well because of encryption) + 0.5 MB (DATA+LINKEDIT, they compress pretty well) = 17.65 MB