Reflection probes not updating

Very simple, but very strange. I have a reflection probe set to update realtime via script. I have a script attached to the same object that updates the reflection probe every 5 seconds. The problem is, the code doesn’t seem to trigger the probe. I’m not sure what’s wrong. Here’s the code:

var r : ReflectionProbe;
var w : boolean;
function Awake() {
	r = GetComponent(ReflectionProbe);
}
function FixedUpdate() {
	WaitAndBake();
}
function WaitAndBake() {
	if(!w) {
		w = true;
		r.RenderProbe();
		yield WaitForSeconds(5);
		w = false;
	}
}

One of the inputs on the r.RenderProbe() function is a render texture, but it doesn’t seem like that should be necessary (It doesn’t give me any script errors for not having it there, and I don’t even know what a render texture IS…). Does it need one? If so, what IS a render texture? Is it the texture the probe replaces when it renders? If so, why doesn’t it give me an error when I don’t have one?

P.S. It’s really annoying when I want to figure something out with these but all I find is “how to use reflection probes” and “how to use reflection probes” and “how to use reflection probes” and “how to use reflection probes” … You get the idea. Somehow no one has ever had problems with these? I don’t believe it.

If you are using HDRP (and maybe other Scriptable Rendering Pipelines), Reflection Probes are overridden by newer classes (search for UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDProbe.cs).

They behave differently, and RenderProbe method won’t work with those. Instead, you have to use the following helper method:

HDAdditionalReflectionDataExtensions.RequestRenderNextUpdate(reflectionProbe);

Please note: The HDAdditionalReflectionDataExtensions class is in the UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline namespace. You will also need to configure your probe as RealTime, and realtime mode should be set to OnDemand.

Hope it helps.

I had a problem with a RenderProbe() that didn’t seem to work.
I solved the problem by switching the time slicing mode to “No time slicing”. The other two slicing modes don’t seem to work with RenderProbe().