Right age to start game development?

Hi guys , I am 15 years old and I'm so passionate about game development ..
Getting a job in CAPCOM is my dream :)
Last year I developed a game in 3D Rad , it was simple , no coding stuff , this year , I am working on a big project , I am learning Scripting.
Is 15 years of age too old to start learning? I'm worried. And If in these 4 years , till I'm 19 , if I work so hard and become master in coding :smile: Will I be able to get a job in any industry as a Programmer?
Thank you so much!
And btw one more thing , if you earn money by developing games then please tell me about your salary :)

Actually 15 is a pretty good age to start. I started writing QBasic on an old 386 when I was in 8th grad (so, about 13-14.)

I think that programming in general is actually a great discipline to go into. Don't limit yourself to games, though - a good programmer is one who can write game logic or a business app, because the truth of programming is A) knowledge, and B) problem solving. As programmers, those are our two domains - we know a situation inside and out, so that we can understand the problems, and write code that helps humans solve them.

The road to Capcom will be a long one. While I'm not too interested in working for a major AAA studio until the working conditions in the game industry change a bit in general, there are others who work in AAA game dev who can tell you what you need to start working on (as a rule: start with making a game. Prove that you can do. You'll get feedback on how to do well as you go along.)

Most importantly, don't fear failure; it's something for you to learn from. And, once you've learned, don't repeat it.

As far as people telling you about your salary, that's usually not considered a polite/good/professional request.

On that note, another thing to work on is behaving like the professional you will be regarded as. Be nice to everyone, learn the social limits. If you're not sure if you should ask/say something, the rule of thumb in my experience is "don't," use some social intuition and try to reason what topics are safe and otherwise.)

Something useful on that note - when I was in Marching Band, I had a director who had a rule that he told us about a couple of times, sometimes to express exasperation with a bunch of teens trolling him, other times as a bonafide life lesson: "If the first thing I would say would get me fired, consider the next one. If that would get me fired, consider the next one. If that would get me fired, say absolutely nothing, because there's probably nothing I can say that won't get me fired." In my day job - and, even on the forums most of the time - that rule has actually served me really really well.

6 Likes

Ok thank you so much for your quick reply bro ...
What do you work as? A programmer?
And I asked about salary because I wanted to have an idea about the field I've already jumped in lol.
One question , what a 19 years old with great programming skills can do? can he get "ANY" job ? If yes , then what will be his "Expected" salary ? (he's not experienced)
I know I sound so stupid and noob but forgive me please , I just wanna clear some confusions in my mind so I can proceed with this thing free of tension , I'm already tense about many things . God bless you!

Programming tends to be something much closer to a meritocracy than other fields of work. Reasonably gifted individuals who prove that they can do can, in certain isolated circumstances get jobs without a formal higher education. However, this is rare - if you want to stand the best chance, and get something resembling a reasonable check, you need to do a 4-year plan at an accredited college.

And, I'm a professional programmer. I'm actually writing this over my lunch break. As far as what a programmer can expect to make in general, I'd suggest Googling, "average yearly income for a programmer" or something similar.

Another skill you need is the ability to independently perform research. Don't expect people to give you the answers to your questions the way they sometimes do in public school; if you want to learn anything of interest, you'll have to seek it out yourself. If you're 15 that means you're a freshman in high school, so you're almost to the point where said teachers disappear from that role anyways. This is a good time to start practicing those research skills.

1 Like

You're so kind , thank you so much :)
And you're a Professional Programmer just at the age of 27 , thats kinda impressive!
I've never been so passionate about anything like I am about game development , I am in the 1st year of high school , I regret I did my matriculation with Biology . Now I'm in Computer Sciences , fortunately and unfortunately , the 1st year has nothing to do with programming or language but in 2nd year , we'll go through learning C .
So , if I work side by side , in my college as "studies" and in my free time as "extra learning" . I think one day I'll be a good programmer as you :)
One more question only if you don't mind brother , what language is the best for future?
And if you can suggest me a good Book (or E-Book) to learn language to develop games , that'll be a great help.
God bless you again !

This might make some people groan, but I think UnityScript is a great way to learn. It's reasonably loose and permissive, but will give you some good fundaments to start learning how to write code.

As far as books, I don't really know any. I learned by just messing with QBasic (and, giving myself StackOverflow errors), and learned more useful details during my college education. However, I'm sure other forumgoers might have some better suggestions. My suggestion would be to click the big blue 'Learn' link at the top of the page.

The thing with games though, is you don't want to limit yourself to just coding as a rule. You need to know about art. You need to know about sound. Understanding the mathematical principles of game design is also a must. Project management is a big part of games - games are software packages!

1 Like

Ahaha thanks , that was a great help !
I understand everything now , :)
Thanks again for your brother-like support.

You may check my game project "Resident Evil - Salvage Hunting"
I've made its page on facebook.

UnityScript may be a great way to learn, but I recommend learning C# once you understand programming concepts pretty well. (At least if you plan to use Unity.) In my experience you'll find more tutorials, assets, and resources in C#.

1 Like

I started learning to program in 3rd grade. After that, I fiddled with various computers and their languages until 6th grade, where I had a summer class... And it was rather weak compared to the knowledge I had acquired on my own. My next class wasn't until I was in my mid-20s, which I only took to get the paperwork to have a degree.

tl-dr; The right time to start to learn to code is right now. There is no age that is too early. If you can read, write, and think logically, you can learn to code.

1 Like

I was like 14 when I started modding games.
Frankly, no matter what it is within reason, if you know what you want to do as a career the earlier you start on it the better.
I'd probably wait 'till you're older to actually release something commercially, though. A person needs a stronger sense of worldliness and finances before dealing with online transactions, returns, fees, legal issues etc.
Not to mention the fact that your judgement of the actual quality could easily be very skewed due to sheer lack of experience with both games and the world as a whole, and filling the market with even more of that would be... well, bad.

2 Likes

Not sure that there's a right age but it's probably best to start when you're younger. I started late, I learned how to program at 20 (Though I did some basic things in VB when I was 17 in school), and I got into game development as a hobby at 28. Today I do work as a programmer in my day job and my career has gone well so far, let's see how developing games turns out.

2 Likes

You might be underestimating the time it takes to master something.

Yes, sorry. At 15 years of age I am afraid your best years are behind you. You should have started when you were 7 or 8 years old at the latest. ;)

It doesn't matter when you start. Sooner would be better than later, of course. But whether you are now 15 years old, 9 years or 60 years old the important thing is to get started. A younger mind is often more like a sponge able to learn quickly. An older mind will have more frames of reference to draw upon. You are only limited by your own drive and willingness to work!

2 Likes

The right age to start programming is whatever age you are minus about 3 years. So you'd better get on with it.

CHOP CHOP!

7 Likes

I am starting at 43. I know, it is too late but I am having good time. I had to learn C# this year in order to desing a video game for a master degree. Programming helps me to keep my mind busy and not lazy.

1 Like

Any age is a perfect age to learn to program. Computer programming is the most important thing in our modern world. Computer programming skill is literally the closest thing to magic powers you can possess. Never worry about being too young or too old. Just jump in and learn everything you can.

It takes about 10,000 hours to master a skill. You probably won't master computer programming in 4 years, but you can get a good solid start in that length of time. Just remember to build skills by practicing on seemingly simple projects. Then use those skills to tackle larger projects. Good luck.

2 Likes

Started when I was 12 :) 16 years old now and I have learned soooo much. I can't believe I made it this far and I still have so much more to go. I am currently making a 2.5D action platformer (announcement in signature soon) and I have been developing it since November of 2013. Almost been a year now and I have worked so hard to get to this stage. Point is, doesn't matter when you start learning as long as you work hard and continue to improve yourself everyday. You will be filled with accomplishment!

2 Likes

I would not be opposed to a machine that allows a fetus to learn programming in utero.

1 Like

Start as soon as you can handle a keyboard.

3 Likes