Rotate Object to match terrain Slope

I am trying to a fence object to rotate to match the terrian.
i can get this to work by rotating the object using the results of one raycast but when i rotate the object later on the y axis it starts to rotate the wrong way. so i was trying to instead use two raycasts and rotate it to match the normals of those. but i cant seem to get it to work at all. it just seems to rotate wildly and im not sure where i am going wrong.
below is my current code and a picture of what i am trying to acheive

if (matchTerrain)
                {
                    RaycastHit Rhit;
                    if (Physics.Raycast(rightRay.position, -Vector3.up, out Rhit))
                    {
                        RaycastHit Lhit;
                        if (Physics.Raycast(leftRay.position, -Vector3.up, out Lhit))
                        {
                            //Vector3 upright = Vector3.Cross(itemClone.transform.right, -(Rhit.point - Lhit.point).normalized);
                            //itemClone.transform.rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(Vector3.Cross(itemClone.transform.right, upright));

//Vector3 upright = Vector3.Cross(transform.right, -(Rhit.point - Lhit.point).normalized);
                            //itemClone.transform.rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(Vector3.Cross(transform.right, upright));

Vector3 upright = Vector3.Cross(itemClone.transform.up, -(Rhit.point - Lhit.point).normalized);
                            Quaternion newRot = Quaternion.FromToRotation(itemClone.transform.up, upright) * itemClone.transform.rotation;
                            itemClone.transform.rotation = newRot;

if (addToRotation)
                            {
                                itemClone.transform.rotation = itemClone.transform.rotation * rotationChange;
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }

Not sure how this works my brain is fried but i got it working using this incase anyone else is interested

Vector3 upright = Vector3.Cross(itemClone.transform.right, -(Rhit.point - Lhit.point).normalized);
                            itemClone.transform.rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(Vector3.Cross(itemClone.transform.right, upright));