Rotate the door according to mouse movement

I am developing a first person game similar to “Amnesia: The Dark Descend”. I added a collider to the door that is twice as wide as the door and it’s original collider, and added a script to ignore the wider one. That way it rotates around where the hinge should be. Now I am working on a script to rotate it in the game, so that when the user holds down the “Fire1” button and moves the mouse around ( Input.GetAxis(“Mouse X”) ), the door rotates around it’s Y axis.

This is what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks for your attention.

Very interesting. I thought about it and here is what I came with :

The process has 3 steps and the final result will be the vector direction to rotate the door , from the rotation axis to the extremity of the door.

• First, the initial click. You need to find the position of the click on that door and you need to store it. Use raycast and raycasthit.

• Secondly, you need to find the the vector [InitialPos, CurrentPos] of the mouse on the horiztonal plane defined by the normal (0,1,0) and the point from the first step. Then you can use Plane.Raycast, the position being calculated like that : cam_pos + from_cam_to_mouse.normalized * dist.

• Finally, the result vector will be that point minus the position of the rotation axis (with y == 0).

Now, you can use Quaternion.LookRotation and Vector3.Lerp to rotate your door.

PS : Now idea if it works, just what came through my mind.