Scripts not updating?

Hi fellas, just ran into a weird bug and hoping someone could lend a hand.

Description: Created a timer script which is set as public so developer has access to the time remaining.

Problem: Now even when changing the secs via Unity, it still defaults to my old value which I have input in the script which was 5 secs. I have tried random values for the secs but it keeps on defaulting to 5 secs thus loading the next scene either prematurely or late.

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;
using UnityEngine.SceneManagement; // Imported for Scene Manager

public class LevelManager : MonoBehaviour {

public float timeUp = 50.0f; //Changed values to further test out

// Use this for initialization
    void Start ()
    {

}

// Update is called once per frame
	void Update () {

// This will initiate the scene "1" as per Build Settings

timeUp -= Time.deltaTime;

if (timeUp < 0) // Take note "==" 0 doesnt work but "<" works !
        {
            LoadNextScene();
        }

}

public void LoadNextScene() //This needs to be "public" as it need to be accessed
    {
        int currentIndex = SceneManager.GetActiveScene().buildIndex; //This initiates the default level "0"
        SceneManager.LoadScene(currentIndex + 1);
    }
}

Please ignore the comments as I am still learning.

Things I tried:
-Reset/Reimported scripts
-Restarted Unity
-changed meta settings to “Visible” as I read from one thread
-changed the value in the script itself to various seconds

No luck so far, suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks as always guys.

Firstly, there’s no such thing as having too many comments! Comments are very good to have, and you should never be ashamed of having them.

Secondly, when you declare a public variable, you create a field in the Inspector for that script component. Any values in the inspector window will override the initial values in your script. When you add a script component to the object, it’ll set the inspector fields to your script’s initial values, but if you change those initial values, it won’t affect script components that already exist on gameobjects and prefabs.

To save myself headaches in this situation, I generally either don’t assign initial values to public variables, or I make the variable private or constant or use [HideInInspector], any of which prevent it from appearing in the Inspector.