set camera rotation through quaternion?

I have a key command move the camera to a new position, I want to do something similar with the camera rotation, but I don’t quite understand how to pass the rotation values to the camera, trying to use quaternions, but don’t quite get the Quaternion.identity implementation- any help?

Quaternion newRotation = target.rotation;
//transform.rotation = Quaternion.(newRotation);

Vector3 positionA = new Vector3 (-45, 15, 0);
		Quaternion rotationA = new Quaternion (0,0,0);

Vector3 positionB = new Vector3 (0, 20, 2);
		Vector3 positionC = new Vector3 (20,8,-1);
		Vector3 positionD = new Vector3 (40,10,-5);
		Vector3 positionE = new Vector3 (-23,14,-81);

Vector3 positionF = new Vector3 (-1, 4, 8);

if (Input.GetKey (KeyCode.E))
			newPosition = positionA;
if (Input.GetKey (KeyCode.E))
			newRotation = rotationA;

if (Input.GetKey (KeyCode.R))
			newPosition = positionB;

if (Input.GetKey (KeyCode.T))
			newPosition = positionC;

if (Input.GetKey (KeyCode.Y))
			newPosition = positionD;

if (Input.GetKey (KeyCode.U))
			newPosition = positionE;

else if (Input.GetKey (KeyCode.I))
			newPosition = positionF;

Hi,

You almost have your answer with @maccabbe 's comment but since it’s a comment, let me make an answer to help other people in their search :slight_smile:

Don’t try to understand Quaternions, you could but it’s high level maths and you would waste your time (go check Wikipedia) ^^

What you wanna do is to manipulate a “normal” Vector3 with rotations, something that is easier to understand and then let Unity do the job.

You can easily transform a Vector3 to a Quaternion by using (as @maccabbe said) Quaternion.Euler(new Vector3(float x, float y, float z)); . Now you will want to pilot x, y and z with you keyboard the same way you do it for the movement of the camera. Let’s say you use WASD to move the camera, code a similar thing with the arrow keys to rotate it :slight_smile:

Enjoy !