Setting sharedMaterial only setting for one object?

I'm trying to set materials when the game starts depending on the current platform. I have a bunch of objects sharing, let's say 'Steel' and for beefy platforms want to set it to 'Steel2'

I thought I could simply find one object using Steel, get it's renderer.sharedMaterial and assign to Steel2. This works fine, for one object. The rest are not affected, despite the explicit explanation that they should be in the Scripting Reference.

What am I missing?

You just changed the reference to point to another material. The sharedMaterial reference points to a Material within your assets. If you change this reference to another Material, the old Material isn't changed at all.

You could use

renderer.sharedMaterial.CopyPropertiesFromMaterial(mat1);

but watchout! that will change the material that is bound to this renderer and the old information is lost. If you plan something like that i would create 3 materials:

1. That is used for the renderer and that is changed at runtime
  2. Your "Steal" material
  3. Your "Steel2" material

ps. the renderer.material is a local copy inside the renderer, if you change that the original material will not be changed.

*edit*15.01@04:00 Ok i've tested it with 2 spheres. Both have my "sharedMat". On one sphere i put this script (C#):

public class changeMat : MonoBehaviour
{
    public Material Mat1;
    public Material Mat2;
    void OnGUI()
    {
        if(GUILayout.Button("Mat1"))
        {
            renderer.sharedMaterial.shader = Mat1.shader;
            renderer.sharedMaterial.CopyPropertiesFromMaterial(Mat1);
        }
        if(GUILayout.Button("Mat2"))
        {
            renderer.sharedMaterial.shader = Mat2.shader;
            renderer.sharedMaterial.CopyPropertiesFromMaterial(Mat2);
        }
    }
}

you have to assign the 2 different Materials to Mat1 and Mat2 in the editor. When you press one of the buttons the material get changed for both of my spheres and the sharedMat (that's the one i've assigned to the spheres) is changed (forever even when you stop the game).