Setting target position in Vector3.MoveTowards

I would simply like to open a door, but after spending 3 hours on this very simple piece of code, I have realised I need help, and it may not be a door I want to open.

In any case…

using System.Collections;
 using System.Collections.Generic;
 using UnityEngine;

public class SlidingLeftDoor : MonoBehaviour
 {
     public Transform doorLeft;  // takes the transform of the door GameObject
    Transform doorLeftClosed, doorLeftOpen; // sets open and closed positions, for opening then returning to being closed
     public float openSpeed; 

void Start()
     {
         // I expect I've initialised all this crap in the wrong place.
         doorLeftClosed = doorLeft;
         doorLeftOpen = doorLeft;
         //The line below is my attempt to set the target position.  Instead, it just opens the door:
         doorLeftOpen.position = doorLeft.position + new Vector3(-1.3f,0f,0f);
         //The line below is my next attempt...I think it equates to the same thing as the line above.  It also just opens the door:
         doorLeftOpen.position = new Vector3(doorLeft.position.x-1.3f,doorLeft.position.y,doorLeft.position.z);

}

void Update()
     {
        // The line below probably works, but I wouldn't know for sure because the door is already open by this point.
        doorLeft.position = Vector3.MoveTowards(doorLeftClosed.position, doorLeftOpen.position, openSpeed*Time.deltaTime);
     }
 }

It’s pretty simple. All I want to do is set the MoveTowards target as doorLeftOpen. How do I do that please?

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;

{
      public Transform doorLeft;  // takes the transform of the door GameObject
     Vector3 doorLeftClosed, doorLeftOpen; // sets open and closed positions, for opening then returning to being closed
      public float openSpeed; 

private Vector3 target;

void Start()
      {
          // I expect I've initialised all this crap in the wrong place.
          doorLeftClosed = doorLeft.position;
          //The line below is my attempt to set the target position.  Instead, it just opens the door:
          doorLeftOpen = doorLeft.position + new Vector3(-1.3f,0f,0f);       
          target = doorLeftOpen;
      }

void Update()
      {
         // The line below probably works, but I wouldn't know for sure because the door is already open by this point.
         doorLeft.position = Vector3.MoveTowards(doorLeft.position, target, openSpeed*Time.deltaTime);

if(target == doorLeft.position)
         {
              if(target == doorLeftOpen)
                  target = doorLeftClosed;
              else
                  target = doorLeftOpen;
         }
      }
  }

to be honest i dont remmember if the movetowards reachs 100% target destination so maybe you need to use aproximation. Your solution wasnt working because transform is a reference not a copy, transform is a reference but the position is a copy :slight_smile: and the move towards was being used as a mix of movetowards/lerp since movetowards doesnt lerp between position just adds an extra step towards the target you need to use the door transform.position as the initial pose

Hello @Altissimus,
If i understand properly, you want to move the door from it’s “Closed” Position to it’s “Open” Position.

The issue in your Start is that you define the “Closed” Transform & the “Open” Transform as being the door Transform itself (pointers), and then you change the position of the “Open” transform which therefore change the position of you door.

doorLeftClosed = doorLeft;
doorLeftOpen = doorLeft;

There are thousands or possible methods, this is one (not tested but should work if you remove typos :p) ;

{
    public Transform doorLeft;
    public float openSpeed; 
    // You can define the translation here it its constant, otherwise you can define it in a Start Method
    private vector3 doorLeftOpen = New Vector3(-1.3f,0f,0f) // Define the position you want to move to
    private bool isOpen = false; // State boolean -- For the sake of the test
    private bool isEnabled = true; // State boolean -- For the sake of the test

// Then apply a generic translate method whenever you see fit
    // For the sake of the example, the door will loop open - close sequence
    void Update()
    { 
    // Open 
    if (!isOpen && isEnable){
         Translate(doorLeft, doorLeftOpen, openSpeed);
         // We dont want anything to interact while door is opening/closing
         StartCoroutine(OpenDoorDelay(openSpeed));
    }
    // Close
    elseif(isOpen && isEnable){
         Translate(doorLeft, -doorLeftOpen, openSpeed);
         StartCoroutine(OpenDoorDelay(openSpeed));
    }
    }

// Define a generic method you'll use on whatever object (note that it doesnt need to be in the door class)
    public void Translate(Transform myObjectTransform, Vector3 myNewRelativePosition, Float openSpeed){
    // From relative to absolute position
    Vector3 EndPosition = myObjectTransform.Position + myNewRelativePosition; 
    // Move object
    myObjectTransform.position = Vector3.MoveTowards(myObjectTransform.position, EndPosition, openSpeed*Time.deltaTime);
   }

// Use Corouting to delay interactions while door opening/closing -- for the example
 IEnumerator OpenDoorDelay(float Speed)
 {
     isEnable = false;  // Forbid door to be opened/closed again
     yield return new WaitForSeconds(Speed);
     isOpen = !isOpen ; //Switch Open/Close state
     isEnable = true;     // Allow door to be opened/closed again
  }
}