Shaders: Using Property for Offset

I’m trying to define a property (allowing me to change the shader by script) and then use that property to define the offset (“Offset #, #”) of the shader. I already define a _Color property and use that within the Pass without issues, and I can define the _Offset property without issue, but when I try to use it in the Pass I get the very helpful error

Shader error in 'TerraViz/Annotation': Parse error: syntax error at line 13

Since it’s very short, here’s a copy of the complete shader. The error happens on the line

Offset [_Offset], [_Offset]

// Unlit shader, color only, with definable offset
Shader "TerraViz/Annotation" {
  Properties {
    _Color ("Color", Color) = (1,1,1)
    _Offset ("Offset", Float) = -1
  }

SubShader {
    Tags { "RenderType"="Opaque" "Queue"="Geometry+1"}

Pass {
      //ZTest Always
      Offset [_Offset], [_Offset]
      Lighting Off
      Color [_Color]
    }
  }
}

If you’re wondering why I need to do this, here’s the explanation:

The z-buffer used for rendering is not linear. When objects are rendered they’re stuck into ‘slots’ in the z-buffer, and the slots get smaller and more numerous the closer to the camera you move. I have a world mesh and allow the user to draw on the globe (by creating linerenderers that follow the movement of their mouse). I also have a bunch of 3D data (like clouds, overlaid data, and satellites) so the height of the linerenderers is important. Because the linerenderers are so close to the surface of the earth, I was getting serious z-fighting issues. While an offset of, say, -1 may be fine when the camera is far from the earth, as it moves closer the offset has less effect and you start getting z-fighting. Likewise, if I just make the offset arbitrarily large to start with, that works great when the camera is close, but as it moves away the offset starts having a greater effect and the linerenderers on the far side of the planet start appearing in front of it. The only way I can see to go about this is to have an offset that’s dynamically set based on the camera distance.

Texcoord doesn’t do what I need, because it moves the texture relative to its normals (as I understand it), and what I need to do is move it in the z-buffer relative to the camera.

I was attempting the exact same thing and came accross this question. After some research it seems that this is not allowed by design:

Offset OffsetFactor , OffsetUnits
Set depth offset. Note that this command intentionally only accepts constants (i.e., not shader parameters) as of Unity 3.0.

I was able to work around this by having multiple LOD levels in the shader, and then setting Shader.maximumLOD at runtime. Example:

Shader "DynamicZBias" {
	Properties {
		_MainTex ("Main Texture (RGB)", 2D) = "white" {}
	}

SubShader {
		Offset 0, -200
		LOD 300
	  Pass { ... }
	}

SubShader {
		Offset 0, -50
		LOD 200
	  Pass { ... } 

}

SubShader {
		Offset 0, -10
		LOD 100
	  Pass { ... }
	}
}

What exactly do you want to do with this Offset thing? What I understood from the docs is that the Offset parameter you’re trying to use adds a depth offset for Z-test purposes.
If you want to offset a texture, or a vertex position, you should do it in a different manner.
I don’t know much about this shader stuff, but I once modified the Transparent/Specular shader (with a lot of pain and tears) to be two-sided, offset the y coordinate of all vertex by a Shift parameter, and offset the texture coordinates according to a sinusoidal function based on the Tempo parameter (it was used as a water shader). Take a look at my shader below - maybe one of these parameters is doing something similar to what you want to do:

Shader "Transparent/Specular2sided" {

Properties {
		_Color ("Main Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
		_SpecColor ("Specular Color", Color) = (0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0)
		_Shininess ("Shininess", Range (0.01, 1)) = 0.078125
		_MainTex ("Base (RGB) TransGloss (A)", 2D) = "white" {}
	}

SubShader {
		Tags {"Queue"="Transparent-150" "IgnoreProjector"="True" "RenderType"="Transparent"}
		LOD 300
		Cull Off

CGPROGRAM

#pragma surface surf BlinnPhong alpha vertex:vert

sampler2D _MainTex;
			float4 _Color;
			float _Shininess;
			float _Shift;
			float _Delta;
			float _Tempo;

struct Input {
				float2 uv_MainTex;