Speed exceeds the clamped value by 0.3?

Hello, I’m sorry if this is a simple fix and/or a mess of a script, but I’m very new to C# and Unity. I’ve been trying to clamp the speed at which my character moves forward between 0 and 4, but it always differs by something like 0.3, causing standstill speed to be -0.3, backwards. Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

public GameObject playerCamera;
public GameObject mainPlayer;
float currentSpeed = 0f;
public float accelerationSpeed = 15f;
public float decelerationSpeed = 15f;
public int maximumSpeed = 4;
public int minimumSpeed = 0;

// Use this for initialization
void Start () {

}

// Update is called once per frame
void FixedUpdate () {

Debug.Log(currentSpeed);

transform.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(0, playerCamera.GetComponent<MouseLookScript>().currentYRotation, 0);

currentSpeed = Mathf.Clamp(currentSpeed, minimumSpeed, maximumSpeed);

if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.W))
    {
        currentSpeed += accelerationSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
        transform.position += mainPlayer.transform.forward * currentSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
    }

if (!Input.GetKey(KeyCode.W))
    {
        currentSpeed -= decelerationSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
        transform.position += mainPlayer.transform.forward * currentSpeed * Time.deltaTime;

In the current state, you are clamping currentSpeed and then modifying it. This results in currentSpeed actually being able to extend beyond the min and max values by (accelerationSpeed * Time.deltaTime) or (decelerationSpeed * Time.deltaTime).

In order to fix this issue, you’ll need to perform the clamp after you have modified the value of currentSpeed. The changed code below should result in the intended functionality:

void FixedUpdate () {

Debug.Log(currentSpeed);

transform.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(0, playerCamera.GetComponent<MouseLookScript>().currentYRotation, 0);

if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.W))
     {
25.         currentSpeed += accelerationSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
     }
     else
30.  {
         currentSpeed -= decelerationSpeed * Time.deltaTime;
     }

currentSpeed = Mathf.Clamp(currentSpeed, minimumSpeed, maximumSpeed);