split screen multiplayer car game?

Hello, I’m creating a car game, I was thinking of adding a split screen multiplayer game feature. I’m stuck at a point, I need help real badly, I need to submit this work within 7 days.
I have added two cars in a scene which use the same script, but the problem is both are controlled by the same keys. When i press the UP ARROW or the key W both the cars move, tried to edit the key settings from Edit>Project settings> Input. But again both the car controls were edited. I want one car to be controlled by W,S,A,D and other with U,J,H,K. Somebody please help me with this.

P.S : throttle = Input.GetAxis(“Vertical”);
steer = Input.GetAxis(“Horizontal”);

This is the part of the code which gets the input.

You can create new inputs in the Input Manager by increasing the number at the top. Copy the buttons & axis’ that you need and name them “Horizontal 2”, “Vertical 2” etc.

Then add a variable on the car to define which player controls them. You can then have a condition in your code that decides which set of controls to accept. An example (js):

var playerID : int;    // the player whose car this is
var acceleration : float; // throttle (replace this, it's just to illustrate)

function Update() {
  if (playerID == 1) {
    // player 1 controls, eg
    acceleration = Input.GetAxis("Vertical");
  } else if (playerID == 2) {
    // player 2 controls
    acceleration = Input.GetAxis("Vertical 2");
  }
}

Don’t forget to set the value of Player ID in the inspector, to the player that controls a given car. Please note there is large room for improvement here, but I hope it illustrates the principle.

For more expandability, try this…

function Update() {
   if (playerID == 1) {
     // player 1 controls, eg
     acceleration = Input.GetAxis("Vertical");
   } else {
     // all other player controls
     acceleration = Input.GetAxis("Vertical " + playerID);
   }
 }

And if you can rename “Vertical” to “Vertical 1” (might require more research), this would be even better.

function Update() {
    acceleration = Input.GetAxis("Vertical " + playerID);
 }