Tiling sprite tiles only diagonally

I was trying to create a stone wall backdrop on Unity 2D. I modified a script posted by Ash-Blue on this post, however the sprites only repeat diagonally and I am not sure why.`using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

// @NOTE the attached sprite’s position should be “top left” or the children will not align properly
// Strech out the image as you need in the sprite render, the following script will auto-correct it when rendered in the game
[RequireComponent (typeof (SpriteRenderer))]

// Generates a nice set of repeated sprites inside a streched sprite renderer
// @NOTE Vertical only, you can easily expand this to horizontal with a little tweaking
public class Tiling : MonoBehaviour {
SpriteRenderer sprite;

void Awake () {
	// Get the current sprite with an unscaled size
	sprite = GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>();
	Vector2 spriteSize = new Vector2(sprite.bounds.size.x / transform.localScale.x, sprite.bounds.size.y / transform.localScale.y);

// Generate a child prefab of the sprite renderer
	GameObject childPrefab = new GameObject();
	SpriteRenderer childSprite = childPrefab.AddComponent<SpriteRenderer>();
	childPrefab.transform.position = transform.position;

%|-2015952021_10|%

// Loop through and spit out repeated tiles
	GameObject child;
	for (int i = 1, l = (int)Mathf.Round(sprite.bounds.size.y); i < l; i++) {

%|-395416459_14|%
child.transform.position = transform.position - (new Vector3(spriteSize.x, spriteSize.y, 0) * i);
child.transform.parent = transform;

}

// Set the parent last on the prefab to prevent transform displacement
	childPrefab.transform.parent = transform;

// Disable the currently existing sprite component since its now a repeated image
	sprite.enabled = false;

%|-812702856_22|%
}`

Please reformat your code as some of it broke.
I believe your problem is:

child.transform.position = transform.position - (new Vector3(spriteSize.x, spriteSize.y, 0) * i)

You are multiplying the Vector by i and that is multiplying both x and y. You are ‘moving’ diagonally in that case. If you want to go left or right in a 2D game, you change only the x. If you want to go up or down in a 2D game, you change only the y.

From that post you linked, I would examine the other answers as well as they hit at your problem a bit and how you can change your code. Example:

GameObject child;
 for (int i = 0, h = (int)Mathf.Round(sprite.bounds.size.y); i*spriteSize_wu.y < h; i++) {
     for (int j = 0, w = (int)Mathf.Round(sprite.bounds.size.x); j*spriteSize_wu.x < w; j++) {
         child = Instantiate(childPrefab) as GameObject;
         child.transform.position = transform.position - (new Vector3(spriteSize_wu.x*j, spriteSize_wu.y*i, 0));
         child.transform.localScale = scale;
         child.transform.parent = transform;
     }
 }

Notice the two for loops, i and j (y and x, in this case). The line of code to look at is

child.transform.position = transform.position - (new Vector3(spriteSize_wu.x*j, spriteSize_wu.y*i, 0));

This is changing the x and y differently and moving it by 1 each time, going left and right, and going up and down. This is likely the solution you want.