Toggling Script from another GameObject on/off Correctly using Unity Input System

I start the game being able to look and move around using a script called “Character_Control” attached to my “Player” gameobject.
I can press escape to open a pause menu, and while I am in the pause menu, I want the “Character_Control” to be disabled so that I cannot control my player while the game is paused. I am using the unity input system.

I used the following code to toggle between the script being enabled/disabled, and it does toggle, however not the way I want it to:

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;
using UnityEngine.InputSystem;

public class Test : MonoBehaviour
{
    private DefaultInput defaultInput;

public void Awake()
    {
        defaultInput = new DefaultInput();
        gameObject.GetComponent<Character_Control>().enabled = true;
    }

private void OnEnable()
    {
        defaultInput.Enable();
    }

private void OnDisable()
    {
        defaultInput.Disable();
    }

void Update()
    {
        if (defaultInput.Character.Pause.triggered)
        {
            gameObject.GetComponent<Character_Control>().enabled = !gameObject.GetComponent<Character_Control>().enabled;
        }
    }

}

I start the game with the “Character_Control” script enabled, and when I press escape (opening the pause menu), I can still control my character, but when I press escape for the second time (closing the pause menu), I cannot control my character, meaning the “Character_Control” script is disabled.
Obviously I want the opposite to happen, so the “Character_Control” is disabled during pause.

Here is a video of my problem:

Try:

using UnityEngine;

public class ToggleComponentWithInputSystem : MonoBehaviour
{
	[SerializeField] Character_Control _target = null;
	DefaultInput _controls;
	void OnEnable ()
	{
		_controls = new DefaultInput();
		_controls.Character.Pause.performed += (ctx) => _target.enabled = !_target.enabled;
		_controls.Character.Pause.Enable();

_target.enabled = true;
	}
	void OnDisable () => _controls.Dispose();
}