Transform a plane to a sphere (or a sphere to a plane).

Hello. I'm new to Unity 3d but I have background in Maya.

What I am trying to do is to transform a plane into a sphere. In Maya I managed to this by using nonlinear bend transformers (there is even a tutorial on the web). But it seems that once I import the animation into Unity somehow it isn't recognized. I learned that currently Unity doesn't support Maya deformers. So what is the fastest and easiest way to make this transformation using Unity 3D. I think using a script but I don't really have a clue about what to do. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

THanks!

There are no Mesh transformation tool in Unity3D. It's a game engine not a modelling tool. However, you can transform a Mesh programatically in Unity3D. There is the Mesh class which allows you to do this. To get started just lookup the Mesh class in the scripting reference, that should give you an idea how to do this.

So far I have done this script, but one I use the Mathf.Log function nothing is rendered. This is done after a Miller Cylindrical Projection with the formula got from Wikipedia. Anyone got any ideeas what is wrong here?

private var baseVertices : Vector3[]; function Update () { var mesh : Mesh = GetComponent(MeshFilter).mesh;

if (baseVertices == null)
    baseVertices = mesh.vertices;

var vertices = new Vector3[baseVertices.Length];
for (var i=0;i<vertices.Length;i++)
{
    var vertex = baseVertices*;*
 *vertex.x = (vertex.x/2) ;*
 _vertex.y = (5/4)*Math.Log(Mathf.Tan(((1/4)*3.1415)+((2/5)*vertex.x)));_ 
 _vertices *= vertex;*_
_*}*_
_*mesh.vertices = vertices;*_
_*mesh.RecalculateNormals();*_