transform.rotation not working when object has animation attached

Hi,

I have run into a problem with my player is not rotating when floating up or when falling if an animation is attached. If I turn off animation rotation works perfectly.

My player has a main body and two wings on top of its body. If I give the wings and body a 2D rigid body then it works but the wings will flap off into the distance when a collision takes place and I would much prefer to add the rigid body to the game object containing all these sprites with the following script attached to it.

Below is the script which is attached to the player. Any tips on how to resolve this will be appreciated. Thanks

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class Player : MonoBehaviour{

// Value that controls the amount of force applied when clicking
public float tapForce;

void Update () 
	{
		// Check to see if we're clicking and if we've not already died
		// (don't want to be able to move if we're dead)
		if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0))
		{
			// Add our tapForce to our bird's velocity if we do click
			rigidbody2D.velocity = new Vector2(0f, tapForce);

// Control the rotation of the bird based on its velocity
			transform.rotation = Quaternion.RotateTowards(Quaternion.Euler(0f,0f,0f), Quaternion.Euler(0f,0f,90f), rigidbody2D.velocity.y);
		} else if (rigidbody2D.velocity.y < -.05) 
		{
			// Do the same here except only if it is falling
			transform.rotation = Quaternion.RotateTowards(Quaternion.Euler(0f,0f,0f), Quaternion.Euler(0f,0f, -90f), -rigidbody2D.velocity.y * 4f);
		}
	}
}

As usual a solution was found after a good night’s sleep (sitting on the toilet also yields similar results)

Created an empty game object, called it GameObjectPlayer and added the script and rigid body components to it.
Placed the original object called Player underneath GameObjectPlayer, removed the rigid body and script from the object called Player. Animation is still attached to the object called Player. Sprites under the object called Player remain untouched.

[34308-screen+shot+2014-10-26+at+9.27.19+am.png|34308]

[34309-screen+shot+2014-10-26+at+9.27.33+am.png|34309]