Trying to access a texture's pixel coords.

I'm attempting to access a texture's pixel coord's to pull out what color is at that specific coords. Right now I am firing a raycast at an specific object (in this case a laptop) pulling off the objects textureCoords, then looking those coords up on a stored texture "laptopstatic_handling" in the Resources folder. I am getting a Unity error that says:

UnityException: Texture 'laptopstatic_handling' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings. RayCastController.Update () (at Assets/RayCastController.cs:35)

Not quite sure what that means. Here is the sample of code

// Use this for initialization
void Start () {
    tex = (Texture2D)Resources.Load("laptopstatic_handling");
}

// Update is called once per frame
void Update () {

RaycastHit ray = new RaycastHit();
    if(!Physics.Raycast(UnityEngine.Camera.current.ScreenPointToRay(Input.mousePosition),out ray)){
        return;
    }

name = ray.collider.gameObject.name;

Renderer renderer = ray.collider.renderer;
    MeshCollider meshCollider = (MeshCollider)ray.collider ;

//Check to see the collider has a renderer and texture
    if (renderer == null || renderer.sharedMaterial == null ||
        renderer.sharedMaterial.mainTexture == null || meshCollider == null){
        return;
    }

Debug.Log( tex.GetPixel( (int)ray.textureCoord.x,(int)ray.textureCoord.y).ToString());

Well, why not simply do what the error message suggests: go to the texture "laptopstatic_handling" in the Project tab, then in the Inspector enable "IsReadable" in its import settings (NOTE: you need to change the Texture Type to "Advanced"). From the GetPixel() docs:

"The texture must have the Is Readable flag set in the import settings, otherwise this function will fail."

You’re looking for “Is read/write Enabled”