UI Text not updating properly

My UI texts are not updating properly. I am using text.text method.
When I say not updating properly I mean: When UI texts change, the new value is rendered over the old value.
When the game starts, the placeholder text I typed into the inspector is replaced properly.
After that, “Score: 1” is printed over “Score: 0”, as in you can see both at once.
My code is basically copied and pasted from the tutorial, which I notice is for version 4.6 a couple years ago. Is there a more up to date UI tutorial I need to be using? Is there a text.clear() sort of thing that needs to happen first?

using UnityEngine;
using UnityEngine.UI;
using System.Collections;

public class scoreManager : MonoBehaviour
{

Text myText;                      // Reference to the Text component.
    public static int score;        // The player's score.

void Awake()
    {
        // Set up the reference.
        myText = GetComponent<Text>();

// Reset the score.
        score = 0;
    }

void Update()
    {
        // Set the displayed text to be the word "Score" followed by the score value.
        myText.text = "Score: " + score;
    }
}

ps: I am getting no error messages.
this is more than just a display error in my unity editor. I built the project and played it on different machines, the display error continues.

no there is no text clear, if thats the behaviour is because you have multiple text (in the same gameobject or in different ones, being drawn over each other)

The script i posted above is the only script doing anything with the UI text. if the line myText.text = "Score: " + score; is commented out, the text stays in its default blank state. Please explain how the single instance of the above script attached to the only text object in the scene is drawing over itself