Unity 2d Fire Bullet In Facing Direction

Hello all kinda new to unity 2d so i’ve had a bit of trouble getting use to it, making a top down 2D platform game. So far got the player firing a bullet along the Z-Axis, and the bullet being destroyed.

My question is i have force being applied on the x-axis, is this correct?
And is their a better way of coding this attack script, kinda wanting to use the direction the character is facing to signal to the fire script which direction to fire in. How would i do this?

My script so far is -i also have a very simple deletion script (was getting annoyed at all the instantiated bullets) that deletes the bullet once it hits anything tagged as enemy.

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;

public class FireScript : MonoBehaviour {

//the object that will be spawned

public GameObject bulletPrefab;

// Use this for initialization
	void Start () {

}

// Update is called once per frame
	void Update () {

if (Input.GetButtonDown("Fire1")){//when the left mouse button is clicked

print ("1");//print a message to act as a debug

FireBullet();//look for and use the fire bullet operation

}
	}

public void FireBullet(){

//Clone of the bullet
		GameObject Clone;

//spawning the bullet at position
		Clone = (Instantiate(bulletPrefab, transform.position,transform.rotation)) as GameObject;
		         Debug.Log ("Bullet is found");

//add force to the spawned objected
		Clone.rigidbody.AddForce(1000,0,0);

Debug.Log ("Force is added");

}

}

When using Unity in 2D mode, I would stay on using x and y axis. This is how Unity seems to be setup. Z is usually depth in 3D mode, and in 2d mode used to sort what s in front of each other.

/*Change 1.0 to a the distance you want, 
`  `or change it to a variable that you can set in the editor */
         Clone = (Instantiate(bulletPrefab, transform.position+1.0*transform.forward,transform.rotation));

You might want o give the bullet its own script that handles the AddForce, that way you might get more fluid movement and not a massive amount at once.