Unity bans traditional (Taiwan) Chinese, but not Simplified (Mainland) Chinese here

This was strange. I encountered these errors:

6427343--718757--upload_2020-10-17_17-39-5.png

Simplified Chinese works fine (ε›½); However, Taiwan "Bopomofo" and Taiwan traditional Chinese characters were banned. EDIT: Japanese Kanji variants work fine and show as a same chars, different font. This is explicitly for traditional/bopomofo.

Not only does this make all the many, many Unicode bugs [since 2018 even before this massive thread] super difficult to submit and add context, but it also seems that this ban was explicitly added in 2020 (since a 2019 post submitted it just fine, but quoting it now is not allowed).

EDIT:
* If I type Japanese kanji for Japan (that uses traditional Chinese characters): ζ—₯ζœ¬γ€it's fine.
* If I switch to traditional Chinese in Taiwan: it won't let me! It's specifically Taiwan/traditional Chinese/bopomofo.

EDIT 2:
The timeline seems to match a Tencent deal last year that may be relevant?
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-19-unity-partners-with-tencent-for-chinese-cloud-gaming-services

• Politics aside, this makes reporting Chinese-related bugs hellish (beyond the existing burden). Look at my "many unicode bugs" link above. I've spent years [with time from my own pocket] trying to get these fixed.

• Singapore also dominantly uses traditional characters for Chinese -- as does Japan for Kanji -- it's strange to politicize the characters if other countries use them with their own cultures. It's almost trolly, since Kanji, for example, has explicit exceptions.

1 Like

My guess:
Unity has to do this in order not to get banned in china.
It's ban or get banned.