Unity doesn't like generic stacks built through recursion??

I have a bit of code (written in c#) that traverses a 6x6x6 array recursively and puts each item into a stack(using generic stacks of GameObjects) depending on the direction it was encountered from (i.e. if the x-value is increased it is put into the xStack)

The problem is that while it does run, It takes nearly a half an hour inside unity, and I have no idea why. Does unity have a problem with recursion in this fashion?

EDIT

It seems that the problem does not come from the recursion, but rather the hang is occurring when I try to output the contents of the stack to Debug.Log() using this bit of code.

while (xStack.Count > 0)
        {
            Debug.Log(xStack.Pop());

I've found the problem code, but i still don't know why it is acting this way..

original function

private GameObject match(int x = 0, int y = 0, int z = 0)
    {

if (x + 1 < 6)
            {
                xStack.Push(match(x + 1, y, z));
            }
            if (y + 1 < 6)
            {
                yStack.Push(match(x, y + 1, z));
            }
            if (z + 1 < 6)
            {
                zStack.Push(match(x, y, z + 1));
            }

return gemArray[x, y, z];
    }

Well first of all, recursion is slow - it should be rewritten to loops (three nested loops in your case). The reason is that each method call needs to be put on the stack - this way a lot memory is waisted. (In some cases, such as tail-recursion the compiler/runtime may be able to make a loop out of it)

But more inportant: Your code is buggy - you access each element more than once. Let's say we used your approach to solve a simple 2x2 array. Your code would iterate the array the following way:

1 // <-- Node already visited 

= current node
0 = unvisited node (in the current stack)
1 = visited node