Unity external script editor won't change

Hello
I’ve been using unity 5.3.0f4 for almost a year and today it suddenly decided that it wants to open the scripts with code.cmd (whatever that is!). well the scripts open in mono at the and but I need to work with VS. but when I go to preferences…>External Tools , and try to change it back , nothing will change in this tab , absolutely nothing. please can someone help?

EDIT:
So if this question (unlike my other questions) got moderated, here is the cause : in the preferences there was a tab named VSCODE, I enabled integration there and that caused the editor script to stuck on code.cmd!!!

just found your post because i had the same isue.

this fixed it for me:

search on your pc for code.cmd and delete it, it doesnt seem to effect anything and you can swap editors again

In case it helps anyone… to get out of this myself I:

• Opened Unity project
  • Deleted the VSCode asset
  • Closed Unity
  • Re-opened Unity project
  • Changed my external editor
  • … the change finally stuck.

And I was so close to finally trying VSCode … forget that!! =/

Related:

PS: Sorry for formatting. Is it me or does the Unity comment editor feel/behave/work like it was built in 2001? Yikes…

Close and re-open the script works for me.

Cheers!

Still have this issue with 2020.1.0.b13

My fix:
I had to manually edit the standard program for opening .cs files in windows for uity to finally recognize VS2019 as the default editor. Even though I had changed it in preferences.

One posibility that worked for me:

1. Edit > Preferences > External Tools & change to your script editor (Visual Studio Code for me)
  2. File > Save Project
    This persisted the setting for me,One posibility that worked for me:
  3. Edit > Preferences > External Tools & change to your script editor (Visual Studio Code for me)
  4. File > Save Project
    This persisted the setting for me

Mine still doesn’t work. It says UnityVS.openfile and when I try to change it, it shows it loading the other external script editors but it stays on UnityVS.openfile.,Mine still doesn’t work for me. It says UnityVS.openfile. when I try to change it to anything else it stays on it.