Unity to support New 3DS

This just in from Unite Tokyo! We'll be supporting the New 3DS and the New 3DS XL.

http://unity3d.com/company/public-relations/news/unity-support-new-nintendo-3ds-and-new-nintendo-3ds-xl

9 Likes

Sounds interesting looks over at his New 3DS Ambassador Edition

1 Like

Great news! But I'm wondering what the New 3DS can handle in term of RAM and processing power. Is it similar to the Vita?

1 Like

Hopefully you guys can provide some guidelines for New 3DS support, give us a good idea for polycounts and whatnot. I'm probably gonna try and keep polycounts low for my project in any case, but still. It's really difficult to judge what the New 3DS is capable of, especially compared to the Vita and mobile devices.

1 Like

[quote=“bakanekofr”, post:3, topic: 576239]
Great news! But I’m wondering what the New 3DS can handle in term of RAM and processing power. Is it similar to the Vita?
[/quote]

[quote=“Candescence”, post:4, topic: 576239]
Hopefully you guys can provide some guidelines for New 3DS support, give us a good idea for polycounts and whatnot. I’m probably gonna try and keep polycounts low for my project in any case, but still. It’s really difficult to judge what the New 3DS is capable of, especially compared to the Vita and mobile devices.
[/quote]

As of right now, we don’t have a lot of info, I did some googling for the specs but i don’t know how accurate it is.
Like the Wii and the WiiU, New Nintendo 3DS publishing will be available to registered Nintendo developers.

1 Like

Since I am not an accomplished developer and will never make a 3DS or any other Nintendo game, this doesn't directly affect me, but I'm nonetheless excited U3D is supporting yet another platform.

:smile:

1 Like

What about regular 3DS?

1 Like

[quote=“darkhog”, post:7, topic: 576239]
What about regular 3DS?
[/quote]

Nope; the press release clearly says New Nintendo 3DS and New 3DS XL.

Great news. Shame they couldn't do it for original 3DS, that would be a huge install base.

I assume this includes 3D support? That's potentially pretty exciting

1 Like

Even though I don't have all the details, 3D support should be in there, otherwise that would be odd :p

i would so much like to be able to deploy to this without the usual hinderance of becomming a registered developer. Now that Sony killed PSM/Vita and Unity followed that route, having a replacing but similar no-hazzle route to some real handheld gaming device would be such a big winner....

Here are the specs:
http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Hardware#New_3DS
New 3DS
Type Description Datasheet Source
ARM11 Processor Core ARM11 MPCore 4x 268MHz(~268123480 Hz) & 4x VFPv2 Co-Processor [11] N/A
ARM9 Processor Core ARM946 134MHz(~134058675 Hz) [12] N/A
FCRAM 256MB N/A N/A
Storage Samsung KLM4G1YEQC 2GB NAND Flash N/A N/A
VRAM 6 MB within SoC. Independent of system memory (FCRAM). N/A N/A
4MB of additional memory inside SoC. N/A N/A
Power Management Texas Instruments AIC3010B 39C4ETW N/A N/A
Auxiliary Microcontroller Renesas Electronics UC KTR, custom Nintendo microcontroller N/A N/A
? "TI 93045A4 38A6TYW G2" N/A N/A
NFC N/A N/A
MVD Hardware video decoder (it's unknown whether this can do more than decoding). N/A N/A
New HID C-Stick and ZL+ZR buttons. This new HID is usable for software which uses Circle Pad Pro, see here. N/A N/A

Didn't Unity drop support for ArmV6? Arm11 is still armv6, so we will get back support for armv6 and non neon cpu for Android too?

Great news! I'm not a registered NIntendo developer, so I probably won't be able to take advantage of this, but as a fan I am excited to see what other developers will do!

Welp, looks like I will have to save up for a New 3DS, just in case! :) (I have the original Cosmos Black 3DS... :smile:)

Point being, this is definitely exciting. What was limiting on the old 3DS that prevented Unity support? (I am already cheesed that Xenoblade Chronicles 3D was done exclusively for new 3Ds, which bars me out... :rage:)

1 Like

[quote=“FuzzyQuills”, post:15, topic: 576239]
Welp, looks like I will have to save up for a New 3DS, just in case! :slight_smile: (I have the original Cosmos Black 3DS… :smile:)

Point being, this is definitely exciting. What was limiting on the old 3DS that prevented Unity support? (I am already cheesed that Xenoblade Chronicles 3D was done exclusively for new 3Ds, which bars me out… :rage:)
[/quote]
The New 3DS got better hardware, thats the main reason imho.

@128bit : Yep... and amiibo! :)
There's also talk of the new Super Stable 3D, but since I don't use 3D much... :smile:
Point being though, Wouldn't the original 3DS have the hardware power of, say, an iPhone 3GS or older android? :eyes:
Be a pain if "iPhone 3GS" level is actually the New 3DS... :smile:

FYI we can support the original 3DS but you won't get much out of it compared to the power of the New 3DS.

I hope that a Dr Charles Francis Amiibo will eventually be made...

1 Like

[quote]
FYI we can support the original 3DS but you won't get much out of it compared to the power of the New 3DS.
[/quote]
Please do! I can work around most limits easily, I have had to for my current mobile game project. Hopefully in the future when I get my Nintendo Developer license (One day... :smile:) I will have 10 futuristic cars bursting through the screen... :p

You mean the guy lying on the lounge on the unity3d.com front page? Heh... wonder what he would do for Nintendo. :p