UnityEngine.Physics' must be convertible to `UnityEngine.Component' in order to use it as parameter

I’ve been playing around with models and animations, I have an EmptyGameobject called player which has the PlayerController script and the child is the model with the rigidbody and animations. I did this to change the orientation of the model easily.

void Start () 
	{
		rigi = GetComponentInChildren<Rigidbody> ();
		anim = GetComponentInChildren<Animator> ();
		rigi.freezeRotation = true;
		distToGrond = collider.bounds.extents.y;
		gr = GetComponentInChildren<Physics> (); 

}

bool IsGrounded()
	{
		gr = Physics.Raycast (transform.position, -Vector3.up, distToGrond + 0.1f);
		return gr;
		//return Physics.Raycast (transform.position, -Vector3.up, distToGrond + 0.1f);
	}

I’m trying to access the Physics of the children object but I get the following error:

The type UnityEngine.Physics' must be convertible to UnityEngine.Component’ in order to use it as parameter T' in the generic type or method UnityEngine.Component.GetComponentInChildren()’

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong or what am I supposed to do, I’d really appreciate the help.

The Physics class is a set of parameters for the Physics engine. It is not a component that can be attached to a game object. If you have your own Physics class as a component, it is possible you have a naming conflict with Unity Physics class. If so, rename your Physics class. If you are trying to access the Unity Physics settings, you can do it through the class. Example:

Physics.sleepVelocity = 0.1;