Universal Render Pipeline 2D lights giving null reference exception

Hey there, I’m trying to add the experimental 2D lights to my project but I get a Null Reference every time i try adding one.

I’m using 2019.3.f05 and this is the exception I get:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
UnityEditor.Experimental.Rendering.Universal.Light2DEditorUtility.GetRenderer2DData () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.1.7/Editor/2D/Light2DEditorUtility.cs:103)
UnityEditor.Experimental.Rendering.Universal.Light2DEditorUtility.IsUsing2DRenderer () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.1.7/Editor/2D/Light2DEditorUtility.cs:115)
UnityEditor.Experimental.Rendering.Universal.Renderer2DMenus.CreateLightValidation () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.1.7/Editor/2D/Renderer2DMenus.cs:76)
UnityEditor.Experimental.Rendering.Universal.Renderer2DMenus.CreateFreeformLight2DValidation () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.1.7/Editor/2D/Renderer2DMenus.cs:88)
UnityEditor.GenericMenu:CatchMenu(Object, String[], Int32)

I’m getting the same error in 2019.3.0f3 and 2019.3.0f1.

I have same problem. Anyone got solution?

Contacted Unity and they told me to try this tutorial:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.1/manual/Setup.html

I am getting this too in 2019.3.0f3 :confused:

Experiencing the same issue on latest unity 2019.3

Getting same errors even after following the tutorial. Unity version 2019.3.0f6

UnityEditor.Experimental.Rendering.Universal.Light2DEditorUtility.GetRenderer2DData () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.1.8/Editor/2D/Light2DEditorUtility.cs:103)
UnityEditor.Experimental.Rendering.Universal.Light2DEditorUtility.IsUsing2DRenderer () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.1.8/Editor/2D/Light2DEditorUtility.cs:115)
UnityEditor.Experimental.Rendering.Universal.Renderer2DMenus.CreateLightValidation () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.1.8/Editor/2D/Renderer2DMenus.cs:76)
UnityEditor.Experimental.Rendering.Universal.Renderer2DMenus.CreateFreeformLight2DValidation () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.1.8/Editor/2D/Renderer2DMenus.cs:88)
UnityEditor.GenericMenu:CatchMenu(Object, String, Int32) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/GenericMenu.cs:119)

Tried LightWeight RP but seems unity is replacing it, and Universal RP is doing that, i dont know. I have tried removing and reinstalling both at different times, and removing and Re-downloading, re-importing and Reimporting-ALL on my project? Cannot create 2d lights after selecting from the options (freeform, sprite, para, point, and Global) get error as below, running unity Ver 2020.1.0a25.3171

UnityEditor.Experimental.Rendering.Universal.Light2DEditorUtility.GetRenderer2DData () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.1.8/Editor/2D/Light2DEditorUtility.cs:103)
UnityEditor.Experimental.Rendering.Universal.Light2DEditorUtility.IsUsing2DRenderer () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.1.8/Editor/2D/Light2DEditorUtility.cs:115)
UnityEditor.Experimental.Rendering.Universal.Renderer2DMenus.CreateLightValidation () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.1.8/Editor/2D/Renderer2DMenus.cs:76)
UnityEditor.Experimental.Rendering.Universal.Renderer2DMenus.CreatePointLight2DValidation () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@7.1.8/Editor/2D/Renderer2DMenus.cs:122)
UnityEditor.GenericMenu:CatchMenu(Object, String, Int32)