Using Variables from Parent Class (And Instantiate)

Hey everyone!

I have an array of custom objects representing tiles on a board. Inside each object is a function to instantiate a prefab. For some reason, this function works well when it’s in a script in the Start() function of my game controller, but not when it’s buried in the class.

When compiled, Unity tells me that it can’t find tilePrefab, TileArray, and it has no clue what Instantiate is.

I know that this is an obvious problem but I can’t quite figure it out.

The stipped-down version of the code in question:

// In GameController.js

public var tilePrefab : Object; 
public var TileArray : Tile[,];

function InitialGridLoadup (){
	tilePrefab = Resources.LoadAssetAtPath("Assets/Prefabs/Tile/Tile.prefab", Object);

for ( var x : int = 0; x < mapX; x++ ) {
		for ( var z : int = 0; z < mapZ; z++ ) {
			// Creates the tile
			TileArray[x, z] = new Tile(type, false, 10, x, z);
			TileArray[x, z].CreateTile();		
		}
	}
}

class Tile{ 
	var type : int;
	var visible : boolean = false;
	var health : int;
	var x : float;
	var z : float;

function CreateTile () {
		switch (type){
		case 0 :
			var tile : Transform = Instantiate(tilePrefab.transform, new Vector3(x,0,z),Quaternion.identity);
			tile.name = TileArray[x, z].Name();
			break;
        }
}

As a super added bonus, does anyone know a streamlined way to replace a GameObject with another prefab at runtime? I need a function here to replace one type of tile with another.

Instantiate is a member of MonoBehaviour, you can’t just call it from a class that’s not derived from it. If you’re using a singleton game manager, you cold make a static function called Instantiate and call it using GameManager.Instantiate

other than that, you’re going to have to find another way to do what you’re trying to do.