Vector3 Issues - Not Able To Solve Constructor issue

Alright, I’ve done my research into this issue, examined similar scripts and tested it, but I’ve hit an error with the Vector3 doesn’t have a visible constructor. I found information that this is simply because I need to construct, that is, specify the property.

I believe I’ve hit a property I cannot specify, for some reason. I’m sure the error may be in the property lookDir (look direction), but no matter how much tampering, I cannot get Vector3 to accept it.
The error specifically is BCE0024: The type ‘UnityEngine.Vector3’ does not have a visible constructor that matches the argument list ‘(UnityEngine.Vector3)’

with conflict with the line:
myTransform.rigidbody.velocity = Vector3(lookDir.normalized * MoveSpeed * Time.deltaTime);

The script works perfectly if lookDir is replaced with transform.forward (but doesn’t work fine in-game), so lookDir is certainly the issue.

If someone can offer advice on how to address the issue, and if kindly enough, offer a correction entirely, it would be much appreciated.

The actual script is below:

var Player : Transform;
var MoveSpeed = 4;
var MaxDist = 10;
var MinDist = 5;
var myTransform : Transform;
var distance = Vector3.Distance(Player.position, transform.position);

function Awake(){
    myTransform = transform; 
}

function Update () 
{
	if (distance <2f) 
	{

var dist = Vector3.Distance(Player.position, myTransform.position);

var lookDir = Player.position - myTransform.position;

transform.LookAt(Player);

if(Vector3.Distance(transform.position,Player.position) >= MinDist){

myTransform.rigidbody.velocity = Vector3(lookDir.normalized * MoveSpeed * Time.deltaTime);

if(Vector3.Distance(transform.position,Player.position) <= MaxDist)
             {
   }
}
}
}

Hi! there,

Your problem is that your trying to create a Vector3 from a Vector3. As the debug message tells us, none of the constructor for Vector3 take a Vector3 as an argument.

The cool thing is you don’t need it at all!
Any calculation with a Vector3 that is legal, automatically yields a Vector3, so:

Vector3 * float = Vector3
Vector3 / float = Vector3

Therefore your line should be:

myTransform.rigidbody.velocity = lookDir.normalized * MoveSpeed * Time.deltaTime;

There is no need to tell unity the outcome of a calculation, it’s all built in :slight_smile:

Hope this helps,
Benproductions1