Vital components not included when I build

I’m freaking out right now. I’ve put more than 80 hours into a game I’m working on, and I thought it was going well, but I just built it out to do a routine performance test, and I was shocked to find out that really crucial things just aren’t there in the build version. Like, there’s a deck of cards, you click on the top of it (or press a key), and it deals out a random card. It works perfectly fine in the editor, no problems at all, but in the build version, when I click on it, nothing happens. Ever. And it’s hard for me to even find out what other elements are missing, because dealing one of those cards near the beginning of the game is a prerequisite for a lot of other stuff to happen.

I think I might be having a panic attack. If I can’t figure out how to dependably make the game work the same way in build that it does in the editor, I’m sunk, and all that time will have been utterly wasted.

Unfortunately, this could be just about anything. I suggest finding your output log for the build and checking if there are any error messages that only appear in the build.

If there are no errors, you can add a bunch of Debug.Log() calls with different information inside them at specific points in the suspect code. Then test the build and check your output log again. Seeing which debug logs are called and what information they contain may give your more insight into the issue.