Volume instead of Post-Process Volume on LWRP

I was wondering why the post-processing stopped working after I've changed the render pipeline to LW (2019.3.0b3). It turns out that Unity is using a completely different architecture for PP on LWRP:
4974173--484769--upload_2019-9-17_22-14-20.png
Instead of the standard Layer + Volume architecture used before, on LWRP Unity uses only this weird "Volume" script. The problem with this is that I can't use my custom PP effects, because the Volume script uses a different type of PP Profile.
I want to know why the change, and if Unity plans to keep it. I think it's bad to have different PP architectures for each RP, since we can't reuse our effects and have to create different profiles and scene setups to accommodate each one.

1 Like

Yep that's correct!

Universal pipeline and 2019.3 onward will use the new built-in post process (like HDRP does). See "Graphics updates" section here: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/08/27/unity-2019-3-beta-is-now-available/

So you will need to copy all your old post values to the new volume framework. It's a pain in the absolute butt, I know, but after this it's plain sailing. After you have done so you should be seeing only the single Universal Pipeline in package manager. You don't need any additional things like SRP or PP, these are for developers or older projects at this point.

Perils of being a slightly-early adopter I guess. But it won't take you more than a few hours I hope!

Sorry you got caught there!

1 Like

Just to add to this, your custom effects will not work with the new PP stack. They are not supported yet. With this being a forked version of the HDRP package, perhaps we can expect it later.

Can someone tell me how I use the new system so I don't effect all layers please?

Did you ever find a fix for this. Just encountered the same thing. We're rendering one camera to texture and want to enable a different set of processes to that camera than to the main player one...