What is the proper and safe way to backup a unity project?

Hi, I have tried the plugin BackupProject, and Backup Pro, and both have not worked in backing up my project. I am using unity 5.2. the code is old. I ruined part of my project with backup pro. Please if anyone knows of an easy and safe way to backup my project , please let me know. A free solution would be best, or a low cost one. Any help greatly appreciated.

@silverglade007

Not sure if it is ideal, but I use Github, as it’s simple and I use it for other programming stuff as well.

I commit and push my project to my repository every time I have made a big change. This lets me revert to any previous commit if necessary. The downside is that unless you feel like paying, your repository will need to be public, meaning anyone can see your project.

If you don’t want to use the terminal, you can also download Github desktop which gives you a simple and clear interface to handle your repositories.

thanks. Is there a way I can do it without a repository? Like if I just wanted to back it up to an external hard drive?

That question has already been asked… look here: How to properly backup a project? - Questions & Answers - Unity Discussions

The way I do it is simply save the project. Then I go to File Explorer and copy the entire project folder into another backup folder. That’s the easiest way.

The following solution only helps if you’re working either by yourself or with a local team. For remote work, there’s many solution and, for a strange reason, none are perfect yet all are different in both the dept/completeness of their offered plans.

In the end, you could simply create a new Gmail account and connect to it for its Google Drive for a free 15GB per account of storage, then divide it space in 2 sections : 1 for the “Project” and 1 for the “WIP assets”. While it’s true that it’s great that Unity allows you to use file like PSD, 3ds, MB, etc. directly into the project, it’s also better to turn them into their final format when they’re done. So the “Project” folder might only contains have JPEG, PNG, TIFF, .wav, .obj, etc. assets that are stripped from their heavy useless load and keeping the “WIP” files in a separated folder. This save you a lot of time to backing thing up. (You project folder only includes the bare minimum of WIP file which you are currently working on while the WIP folder contains move version of those WIP files that get removed and updated as the project goes on.)

One easy and safe and relatively cheap way of backing up a project is simply by using a USB drive copy/pasting the whole project folder.

While you can get a 32GB-64GB USB drive for like 20$-60$, if you’re planning your project and its asset well, it’s possible to make due with a 6GB, 8GB and 12GB USB drive and… as of today, those cost around 2$-4$ each if you buy them in pack directly from the manufacturers in China.

Personally, I really like to work with Blank Card USB Drives. They got a relatively high resistance to water unlike standard external HDD. (You still need to dry them if they get wet before using them logically.) Their large flat surface allows me to place a sticker with notes and version markings. Their card-like form allows you to store them easily. For example, I got this long slim box which came with my business cards when I requested a print of 500 of them from a printing company and I’m currently using that box to store my Blank Card USB drives. I store them in an orderly fashion with small pieces of paper coming out between each project.

When a project is done or has a big technical change for X or Y reason, I keep the 2 or 3 most recent version and re-use the others ones for the newest project version. Early version can have 2, 3 or even 4 version on 1 single USB drive while, later, you’ll see the number drop and, at some point, you might have to use 2 USB drive (1 for the Unity project itself and 1 or 2 for the raw assets like PSD, 3D original file (.3ds, .mb (maya), .blend, etc.), audio builds, and all other kind of files you’re working with to build the assets)

Cool thing though is if you identify the USB Drive properly and class their content, you can even work with most of them directly through the USB drives. (Especially if you’re on a Desktop with a massive amount of USB drive. Mine got 8 USB drive slot. I keep 1 for the keyboard, 1 for the mouse, 1 for my tablet, 4 for USB drives with USB backup Drives and 1 that depends if I’m using my headset or another USB Drive or nothing since 4 are already plenty.)

Even an old USB 2 drive can reach up to 60 MBps so you don’t need to beef up your Internet bandwidth speed just to be able to backup your project in a sane amount of time. (In the case of the estimated time for the transfer of a project folder, the number is always off because the way it’s calculated is based on an algorithm that doesn’t get estimate well when thousands of files are copied in line with many different sizes. (It takes the total size of the a specific amount of file (I think it’s 100 files) in the waiting line, divide it by the said amount of file (for an approximation), estimate the amount of time for that “bunch”, then multiply the resulting time per file by the total amount of file. So when it reach files that are like 50MB-100MB, the remaining time raise up and when it reach 50Ko-100Ko files, the remaining time drop. Usually, a 6GB project with >15,000 files takes about 20-30 minutes max on an USB 2.0 drive slot.