why won't my script do a proper rotation check

so i am making this bowling game and decided that i want to destroy de pins after they had fallen over. but to let them fall down correctly and hit other pins as well i put a timer on there for 10 seconds. but somehow the timmer won’t start. it starts when i put in there if the z or the x rotation are not equall to zero but because of the gravity do they shift position a little bit so it will start automaticly. to avoid this i’ve put in that the x or z rotation should be more than or equal to 1 or less than or equal to -1. i’ve checked by a rotation of only 1 degree they will fall over. here is my code (it is in c#):

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class pins_fall_over : MonoBehaviour {

public float time_passed;

// Use this for initialization
	void Start () {

time_passed = 0;

}

// Update is called once per frame
	void Update () {

float x_rotation = transform.rotation.x; 
		float z_rotation = transform.rotation.z; 

if( x_rotation >= 1.0f || x_rotation <= -1.0f || z_rotation <= -1.0f || z_rotation >= 1.0f)
			time_passed += Time.deltaTime;

if(time_passed >= 10)
		{
			Destroy (this.gameObject);
		}	

}
}

p.s.
time_passed is public so i could see it more easely in the inspector

p.p.s
i’m sorry if my grammar is bad because english is not my original language

transform.rotation is a Quaternion, not those nice angles we see in the Inspector (they are actually transform.localEulerAngles). You could try to use transform.eulerAngles, but its values are not so reliable for this purpose - there are several XYZ combinations equivalent to any possible rotation, and you may be unlucky and get the wrong combination.

A better way to check tilting of a vertical object is to verify its transform.up vector: since it’s normalized, the Y component is numerically equal to the sin of the elevation angle - it should be 1 for a completely vertical object, and < 0.999 for an object inclined more than 2.5 degrees in any direction:

void Update () {
   if (transform.up.y < 0.999f){ // 
     time_passed += Time.deltaTime;
   }
   if(time_passed >= 10){
     Destroy (this.gameObject);
   } 
}

If you want less than 2.5 degrees, the value to compare to Y may be calculated from sin(90 - maxDegrees)