Why won't Unity Editor open?

Unity was working fine yesterday, but now, when I click a project, it doesn’t open at all. When I go into task manager, I can see that Unity.exe is open, but it won’t appear on the screen.

I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling, also when I try to do DEP (data execution prevention) it says “You cannot set DEP attributes on 64-bit executables”.

I had the same issue, turned out my anti malware program was causing unity to not load (I have no idea why). I uninstalled Malwarebytes from my computer and unity loaded up fine.

So I fixed my issue. Turns out that it is Malware atleast for me… I went into Malware and just made an exception to the folder and File. (Just incase) then I restarted comp and worked for me. Hope this helps.

That seems super half-ass, malwarebytes and defender are blocking it. Come on now, you expect us to open ourselves wide open just to use this software?

Adding an exception for the unity folder in the windows defender fixed it for me

The developers are aware of the issue and are trying to fix it.

See PeteBrisbourne’s screenshot here:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-editor-will-not-open-present-as-a-background-task.486216/#post-3236882

Disconnect from the internet before launching Unity, choose “Work offline” then reconnect to the internet.

I have the same issue, I tried to disable DEP but the same error appeared(“You cannot set DEP attributes on 64-bit executables”), I disabled avast agents and it didnt work, added an expetion for unity in all types of network didnt work either, uninstalled then reinstalled unity several times, no effect, checked my reg files, fixed them, updated the gpu driver, updated windows and nothing worked, help please ?
PS: unity.exe appears in my task manager also.
PSS: I have the same error with Unreal engine

I had A problem where all versions of Unity would latch to a blank screen and not respond. I turned off my VPN fixed it. I also disabled Malwarebytes but it doesn’t fix anything for me.

I had a problem of unity editor to…In my case it was not even showing on task manager…only it asks for project name…So what i did is I checked my default configuration of my PC (which i changed day before)…And Boom it worked…

I mean to say…by default your unity editor requires the specific Configuration of your system…so don’t change anything…if you did make it as it was before…:slight_smile:

Well I don't know much about it, but what I know ( **In my experience**), I'll share it.

The Problem happened to me because yesterday I downloaded & Installed Unity Pro 2020.xfx. from a website.
(Cracked one).

I did it because of curiosity.

Today when i was working on a sample project, suddenly unity closed.

I tried to open it many times with no luck.

I searched for solution online, but no luck.

**Then I did the following-

1. I deleted the Unity_lic file from C:\ProgramData\Unity

2. I uninstalled the cracked Unity ( Going to Control Panel>> Uninstall a program and uninstalled the unity ( Only cracked unity will show there, simply named Unity)

3. I installed Unity Hub again. ( Remember, I didn’t uninstalled the previous Unity Hub, just overwritten it by installing again. I had the Unity hub setup file downloaded, if you don’t have it, simply download from unity website)

4. I opened Unity Hub, I got a window where it said I don’t have a valid licence. I selected ACTIVATE NEW LICENCE(or something I don’t remembered) Then Choosed Personal.

And that’s it.

I changed a projects Unity Version to the Version I installed from Unity Hub( Check on Installs tab).

And when I clicked on the project,

It just opened.
The problem solved in my case.**

Well I don’t know much about it, but what I know ( In my experience), I’ll share it.

The Problem happened to me because yesterday I downloaded & Installed Unity Pro 2020.xfx. from a website.
(Cracked one).

I did it because of curiosity.

Today when i was working on a sample project, suddenly unity closed.

I tried to open it many times with no luck.

I searched for solution online, but no luck.

**The I did the following-

1. I deleted the Unity_lic file from C:\ProgramData\Unity

2. I uninstalled the cracked Unity ( Going to Control Panel>> Uninstall a program and uninstalled the unity ( Only cracked unity will show there, simply named Unity)

3. I installed Unity Hub again. ( Remember, I didn’t uninstalled the previous Unity Hub, just overwritten it by installing again. I had the Unity hub setup file downloaded, if you don’t have it, simply download from unity website)

4. I opened Unity Hub, I got a window where it said I don’t have a valid licence. I selected ACTIVATE NEW LICENCE(or something I don’t remembered) Then Choosed Personal.

And that’s it.

I changed a projects Unity Version to the Version I installed from Unity Hub( Check on Installs tab).

And when I clicked on the project,

It just opened.
The problem solved in my case.**

It happens to me when the first try. My antivirus said “Unity.exe is safe” but it won’t open so idk.