WindowsVideoMedia errors when importing monoscopic and stereoscopic 360 video files

Details about this bug have been demonstrated in a video, please view here:

1. Create an monoscopic or stereoscopic mp4 video file using FFMPEG.
The following assets both create videos using FFMPEG.
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/35102
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/38755
Example File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/re32o5ttpu6wrvy/minecraft2048.mp4?dl=0

1. Import the mp4 video file into Unity. The following errors will be experienced:

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading C:/Users/Selzier/Documents/Unity5/_NurfaceAssets/IndividualPacks/VideoErrorBug56/Assets/minecraft2048.mp4
Context: Setting media type for first video stream
Error details: No suitable transform was found to encode or decode the content.
Track types:
Video Track, type: 1cva

UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:ProjectWindowDrag(HierarchyProperty, Boolean)
UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Error while reading movie: Assets/minecraft2048.mp4
UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:ProjectWindowDrag(HierarchyProperty, Boolean)

Movie encoding error [Assets/minecraft2048.mp4]

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading C:/Users/Selzier/Documents/Unity5/_NurfaceAssets/IndividualPacks/VideoErrorBug56/Assets/minecraft2048.mp4

Track types:
Video Track, type: 1cva

I've opened a bug report with Unity but they cannot reproduce the error.
https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?903529_okqqupglmk9t379n

If you have this WindowsVideoMedia error, please reply to this thread with the following information (and anything else you can think of):
- Your exact WindowsVideoMedia error
- Unity Version
- Operation System, and version
- If you have Quicktime installed

Hi the error I get in the unity console is:

WindowsVideoMedia error 0x80070057 while reading jar://file://E:/Unity_Development_v5.6.0f3/VideoPlayerV0.2/VideoPlayerV0.2/Assets/StreamingAssets/minecraft01.mp4

Context: MFCreateSourceReaderFromURL
Error details: The parameter is incorrect.

Unity Version is : 5.6.0f3
Operating system is : Windows 10 Home edition
Do not have Quicktime

Trying to build for GearVR on samsung S6

1 Like

Same error.

Unity version is : 5.6.0f3
I have Quicktime

Trying to build for Android more specifically Cardboard.

I removed jar:// in the code below and it worked but i'm not sure if it will work if i build it my galaxy s7.

public override void SetClip(string fileName)
{
if (!fileName.EndsWith(".mp4")) fileName = fileName + ".mp4";

var url = "file://" + Application.streamingAssetsPath + "/" + fileName;

if UNITY_ANDROID

url = url;

endif

videoPlayer.url = url;
videoPlayer.Prepare();
}

okay... I've figured out what the problem was.... on windows..... it wasn't able to identify the name of file if using Android build

it was trying to read the file as
"jar://file://E:/Unity_Development_v5.6.0f3/VideoPlayerV0.2/VideoPlayerV0.2/Assets/StreamingAssets/minecraft01.mp4"

after removing jar:// ... windows was able to find it.

HOWEVER, the problem now resides when i build it onto my android phone.. where it now can't identify where the assets are on mobile...

although this is what i think it means

@Selzier I have now got it to work on Android..

Changed the script on "VideoPlayerControllerUVP.cs" to the following :-

if UNITY_ANDROID

url = Application.streamingAssetsPath + "/" + fileName;

1 Like

Now this also works on windows without the previous error. #ThankGodForCodingClasses

In my video in the first post, I get WindowsVideoMedia errors without my "360 Video Controls" pack imported into the project. I'm just using plain Unity, and importing the .mp4, and I get the error (not using my pack).

Are you saying that you no longer have WindowsVideoMedia errors after modifying my scripts? How does this fix the WindowsVideoMedia error if I get the error without using my scripts at all?

The error you experienced: WindowsVideoMedia error 0x80070057 is different than the one I had, WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212.

Maybe there's one error that is resolved via the code you fixed but there's another error which is some bug in Unity? I'll keep investigating , thanks for the help.

Having changed the script as you suggested, I'm still getting the following errors when trying to play video:

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading file://C:/Users/Selzier/Documents/Unity5/360VideoPlayer9_56/Assets/StreamingAssets/minecraft01.mp4
Track types:
Audio Track, type:
UnityEngine.Video.VideoPlayer:set_url(String)
Can't play movie [file://C:/Users/Selzier/Documents/Unity5/360VideoPlayer9_56/Assets/StreamingAssets/minecraft01.mp4]
UnityEngine.Video.VideoPlayer:set_url(String)
WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading file://C:/Users/Selzier/Documents/Unity5/360VideoPlayer9_56/Assets/StreamingAssets/minecraft01.mp4
Track types:
Audio Track, type:
UnityEngine.Video.VideoPlayer:Prepare()
Can't play movie [file://C:/Users/Selzier/Documents/Unity5/360VideoPlayer9_56/Assets/StreamingAssets/minecraft01.mp4]
UnityEngine.Video.VideoPlayer:Prepare()
Track types:
Audio Track, type:
UnityEngine.Video.VideoPlayer:Play()
UnityEngine.Video.VideoPlayer:Play()

Could it be due to Windows 7 and 10 differences? I came about the solution after reading through a post about windows 10 and the way it read files by a gentlemen who was working with hololense.

1 Like

Getting this as well.

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading D:/ArbysVR/Assets/Arby's C3/Video/-1_Test/Silly_Goose_alpha_01.mov

Track types:
Video Track, type: h4pa
Unity561f1
Windows 10 Pro
No quicktime installed

Unity has reproduced the issue and have an open bug report about it:
https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?903529_okqqupglmk9t379n

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading C:/Users/Home/Documents/Virtual reality work/How to build a video VR app/Assets/Video/360_0024_injected.mp4

Track types:
Audio Track, type:
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Anyone found a real solution to this one yet?? Seems like a major bug to me.

Having the same issue on Windows 7 machines with quicktime installed. Also tested running Unity as administrator, no luck. Windows 10 and Mac OS machines work fine.

WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading E:/Project/Assets/Resources/Video/opening_trailer.mp4

Track types:
Audio Track, type:

Hey everyone!

We're using Media Foundation to decode H.264 videos on Microsoft platforms. And on Windows 7, Media Foundation cannot decode resolutions above 1920x1088. You can see the note saying "In Windows 7, the maximum ..." in here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd797815(v=vs.85).aspx

On Windows versions above this, the limit (also stated in the link) is 4096x2304.

We'll try to improve error reporting so that people don't get puzzled when hitting this. The message we're getting out of Media Foundation (which is what we currently print out in the log) is obviously not precise enough, so we'll see if we can still discover the file resolution and provide a more specific message about this.

Dominique
A/V developer at Unity.

1 Like

But this happens not only on Windows 7 machines.

I am having this problem with windows 7 on the build version with a video with exactly 1920x1088 resolution...

For anyone having this issue, trans coding the video to VP8 did the trick for me.

4 Likes

Did it for me as well! Thanks

1 Like