Working with many scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V02lqOqzQM0

At time index 3:41 Vlad, shows an Environment scene, Lighting scene, and VFX scene being dragged into a Master scene.

If the Master scene has all these other scenes in it, can we add the Environment scene, Lighting scene, and VFX scene into the timeline of the Master scene?

Second question: why do the nested scenes disappear when I re-open the master scene? I saved the Master scene with the nested scenes, but they do not stay in the master scene.

Sean

I think it is multiple scenes being loaded into the editor - they are not nested - there is no "master scene" they belong to. It has just loaded multiple independent scenes at the same time.

When using the Sequences package, the idea is to have a "master scene" and then you can have "set scenes" that have a location set up. (I use that so I can have a "master scene" per epsiode of a series, but share the same "set scene" between episodes. I have a "downtown" set scene, a "Sam's home" set scene, etc. This kept the size of scenes smaller, improving performance.) I put all the characters into the master scene that need to move around. The Timeline in the master scene could not reference / animate the objects in the set scenes. I had to copy anything I wanted to animate into the master scene and delete/disable it from the set scene.

E.g. if I wanted to close a door in a set scene, I had to copy the door into the master scene so I could animate it in the master timeline. I ended up creating a "set scene" and a "set scene prefab for things I want to animate". I keep dragging things from the set scene into the prefab over time, as needed. (Ugg, but best I came up with at the time.) I needed to share that prefab across episodes.

That made me wonder if multiple scenes were actually that useful. Why not just have prefabs for sets instead of a separate set scene. Then the master timeline could animate everything easily. I have not tried this though - not sure if any gotchas. Note: I am a one-man-show, so no need to collaborate with anyone else.

1 Like

[quote=“Sean_R”, post:1, topic: 865357]
Second question: why do the nested scenes disappear when I re-open the master scene? I saved the Master scene with the nested scenes, but they do not stay in the master scene.
[/quote]

Ooops! Missed this one. If you open a scene it starts again fresh I think. You have to “add” the other scenes one by one.

When using “Sequences” package, there you can go to the Sequences window and right click to “load all referenced scenes”. (The Sequences package also has things like Scene Activation tracks to turn sets on and off for different parts of the sequence.)

I ended up creating a Unity project per location to avoid having a mega project - for performance reasons. I used Unity asset store assets, and loading them all at once started to stress my desktop. (I am generating videos, not games, so this works for me.) I then share all the characters and scripts in a “shared” package that is imported per location project. It also felt “safer” - if things went pear shaped only one location got nuked, making it easier to recover from.

1 Like

Thank you so much, Akent99.