Best iOS GUI Option Consensus

Hi There,
I originally posted this in the Support Forum, but think it maybe more appropriate here. I am sure this has been asked before, but I would like to get a general consensus.

///original quote from thread… http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/119196-GUI-Options-iOS
So since I am hearing such bad things about how taxing the Unity OnGUI is to the iOS and that the alternatives are SpriteManager, SpriteManager2 and EZ GUI are the way to go… I am wondering, if I can gather a consensus? What do the actual Unity members like?

Is it worth the money to invest? Is OnGUI not that bad?

Thanks
Ren

of all the ones i tried ezgui is my favorite

cool.
and with EZGUI I notice that it allows for you to manipulate objects movements thru it. So does that mean for instance if I am using a characterController.Move() will I now have to negate that and use a different script?

Yeah I guess you could do it that way. It has an AnimateTransform function

And is the reference material extensive. I mean is the documentation solid?

yeah the documentations pretty good. I havent gone through it to much. The forums are really helpful if you have questions and problems. And I dont have one I can show you yet our latest app is going through approval, but I use EZGUI pretty heavily in it.

Are you using it for game play?
Can you list what you are using it for? How extensive your game demands are? Say a 1000 objects moving to the left at light speed?

Yeah they have 3D buttons and you can use regular buttons in 3D space. I use it for everything. Theres a store a trophy wall the main menu and hud it all uses it.

and the performance is clipping fine?

Yeah way faster than regular unity gui because you can do it for way less draw calls. And you can do way more advanced stuff easier with ezgui than with unitys gui.

So a draw call is a GUi call to draw something? A texture a button?

Also, a trophy room just made me lean a little closer to EZGUI. I have another thread on this, linked at top and many are saying as long as your game is not heavily reliant on GUI Unity is fine.

But what gets me is that EZGUI can do some pretty funky stuff?
Can you give me a rough break down of your trophy room? Does anything in it move? Animate, or is it just a bunch or drawn GUI objects?

I am just trying to get a feel about how I might use it?

It was just really easy to get the pages to swipe left and right looking good, and snapping to each page if you let go, just like the main screen on an iphone where all the icons are. Its all built in to ezgui. Making scroll-lists is so easy, I remember doing it with the Unity gui it looked horrible and took forever.

How long did it take you to get a grip on EZGUI?

Some of the reviews say that is the one flaw, that it is hard to learn.

to get all the basic things working while playing around with it took a few hours. Some of the advanced stuff took quite a bit longer. Id say to get a really good understanding took about a month.

Of full time studies???

yeah i work about 8 hours a day. Not all that was playing around with ezgui though.

Right. Holy mess of stuff.

Anyhow, not to drag this out, but what kind of stuff were you learning?

the best way to start was just go through the example videos. learn how to make buttons and whatnot. then keep playing around trying more things.

yah but what were you learning? How to create the drag menus, like an iPhone menu, with pages…? More extensive things? I am just trying to visualise what it can do?

Do I have access to the docs with out purchase?

From what I’ve read NGUI is cheaper than EZGUI, has similar performance, and is easy to learn. It would be good to hear from someone with experience with both packages.