Hi all,
Not sure where else to stick this question.
Following a tutorial on Unity and when we come to build the game it states:
“Note: Do not save it in the same folder as your project; select a new destination.”.
Does anyone know why we shouldn’t save a game build to the project folder?
Is there a technical limitation? Best practice from Unity? Trying to limit beginners issues/confusion?
Thanks!
For simple reason.
Project contains specific files for the project.
Build contains own files.
Hence to avoid mistakes and confusion, they should be kept apart.
If you do things incorrectly, you have great chance, to confuse which files belong to project and which to build.
Also, you should be prepared, to have multiple build versions. So you should be storing them in a separate destination.
Also, when you using version controlling, you don’t want by accident include build files.
1 Like
It’s so you don’t confuse which files belong to the build and which files belong to the project. Mistaking project files for the build files might not end up well if you decide to delete them. I suggest building to an empty folder so that you know exactly which files Unity produced for your build.
1 Like
Thanks for both your input.
What I do is just create a “Builds” folder, then create sub folders there for each project. Builds go there.
1 Like
That’s what I ended up doing; I think I overcomplicated it from the wording.
I thought it was meaning it couldn’t go anywhere in the ‘C:\Unity[PROJECT]’ folder (root or sub-folders).
I ended up creating ‘C:\Unity[PROJECT]\Builds’ and then taking Antypodish’s advice into consideration about version control, I would exclude that subfolder.