Lately I’ve been working on a localisation class that will allow fairly easy conversion of text identifiers into localised text based on which language is currently selected. At the same time I’ve started working on an editor class to allow developers to fairly easily set up languages and the localised text. Everything is stored as xml files and accessed via system.io so they will only work on standalones atm.
Because everything is stored in xml files outside of the resources folder it makes it easy to edit the files after you have built a standalone and you find errors in translation.
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in such a package and at what price range?
I already have my own solution implemented … and I’m using simple text files (“key value”) to avoid having to parse XML. One could probably also use the localization classes that come with .NET - but they might blow up the size of Web players and so on.
There are already a few on the Asset Store that are pretty feature complete, so inventing your own is fine if you have specific needs, but doing with the intention of selling it, would just be adding more of the same to the store. IMO.
In any case, XML is not the best way to localisation - the main purpose of XML - a tree-like structure, but for the localization is better to use a table form or key = value.