Modular City Kit for Unity Engine

In the vein of giving back to the community, here is another cool freebie. These are low poly modular street sections and buildings that can be used to populate your own city in Unity. The video demonstrates how to use the pieces and contains the download link for the Unity project source. Enjoy!

Modular City Kit on Youtube

If you’d like several other free Unity project downloads visit:

fatbox Software Resources Page

1 Like

thanks! fine work with the buildings. so the snapping works only in pro?

@dibdab - No the vertex snapping will work in any version of Unity. The Static Batching is functionality thats Pro only.

Here is a webplayer of this street kit in use:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16956434/AssetStoreCarsDemo/WebPlayer.html

This modular city kit has been downloaded 572 times in the last few days! Check it out.

These are low poly modular street sections and buildings that can be used to populate your own city in Unity.
The video demonstrates how to use the pieces and contains the download link for the Unity project source. Enjoy!

Modular City Kit on Youtube

If you’d like several other free Unity project downloads visit:

fatbox Software Resources Page

3 buildings remapped



download here

@dibdab - Very cool! What’s up with the white stuff? Is that snow perhaps? Cool looking little city you got there though. Noticed some of your buildings look like they are leaning over lol…maybe it’s the camera FOV?

probably cat-eye effect. more annoying is that some hover above ground
white is just blotted out what’s not included :slight_smile: (with the ‘search in hierarchy’ feature of unity) - though I had once an idea to make greyscale textures to get a black n white look

*changed it to original color

Well most of the pivots are set properly to rest directly on the ground if you use snapping. Might be one or two that the pivot needs to be adjusted. Can’t complain for something 100% free though :slight_smile: I can easily update and re-upload the entire package so it’s updated with any fixes.

I’m working on adding props like trees, benches, mailboxes, street lights, hydrants, newsstands, basically city props to be in this package as well. That way folks can have an entire city at their disposal.

EDIT: You’ve definitely got some funky errors in your scene. Your cars look completely squashed flat lol. The buildings are inconsistent too…some are straight up and others are leaning over. I don’t think that’s a camera effect, since they are in the same field of view. I’d recheck your scene and sort those issues out before distributing.

Too awesome. James, you are now my ‘favouritest’ person in the forum! :smile:

Just to make sure, I can use these assets in commercial game right? (And of course I will credit you IF my game ever get published!)

Yes free for both commercial and non commercial purposes. If it does help you out in a good way, please consider helping me in my development campaign for Super Kart Racing. Heres the link:

This is a full Unity project. Simple terrain (for testing) included. The core of this project is the monster truck model, the driving script on the monster truck and some nifty scripts for keeping the truck level and mostly upright in jumps (it will allow for some side and forward lean for realism). I want to offer this project for direct download to folks.

I only ask that folks make a donation to my Super Kart Racing Development Campaign found here:

Super Kart Racing Funding Campaign

Please donate anything $10 or higher and once I confirm a contribution, I will send an email with the .ZIP project bundled up to you.
This is a real steal deal as the model itself is worth at least $15! You get the monster truck model, PSD texture (customizable), the Player Driving script (nice torque controls, braking controls, dust and smoke for the wheels), a WheelFriction script (that allows spin-outs, burn-outs and nice drifting), also includes a prefab for dust or wheel smoke when the wheel slips over the ground. Lastly it has a very cool script that detects when the truck is in the air and applies just enough force to keep it from flipping over…basically maintain being level after jumps. This makes for a much better experience as landings become manageable.

Before you do anything, check out the webplayer and jump the truck a few times. You’ll see a lot of these scripts in action!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16956434/MonsterTruck%20Project/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

the buildings are 3 cubic bodies so them might look funny from some angle
but it was a fov distorsion
with 26degrees viewfield


the cars might look flat but not really unlike the original

I didn’t have any cars in my original kit. Your buildings look strange man. I see odd UVs not lining up on corners and they just look twisted or distorted. I also see what looks like normal shading errors…did you smooth the normals on these building’s edges? Mine had hard edges so they shaded okay. I dunno man, I would just stick to my original package and go off of that.

This is a free tileset of city streets and grass areas to help you lay down a foundation of city roads for any top-down or isometric style project. If you’re going to use this for mobile development make sure to atlas all of these 256x256 textures onto a couple of 512x512 textures or maybe a 1024x1024. NGUI, Sprite Manager 2, and several free sprite tools exist for the Unity engine that process texture atlases.

I would also suggest checking out the Modular City Kit video on my Youtube and grabbing the modular buildings. These modular buildings would work awesome placed on top of these tiles.

Download link via Dropbox is in the Youtube video description:

Some images to preview:

And a Unity webplayer to to just drive around a snapped together set:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16956434/WebsiteFREEBIES/CityStreet_Tileset_Webplayer/WebPlayer.html

Great work James, loved it in your car game! Would be fun for a small open world game. Downloading now!

I didn’t think of this before, but car games aside, this might be great to have some buildings placed around and having like a game where you bombed a city or something…or perhaps a UFO invasion city defense game. Shoot any kind of “tower defense” genre protecting a city.

BUMP - for those who may not have seen it during the overnight upload.

Hit that $1,000 mark this morning! Help me take this campaign all the way! Reaching out to my fellow Unity developers.

Still two days away from halfway in the campaign, but really need the help with this one. It’s very close to my heart and I need your help seeing it get there. I don’t need to meet the entire end goal to be able to make this game (using Flexible Funding Option on Indiegogo) so I’m in a good position! I just need every bit I can muster to pay for the plugins/software needed and audio/artwork services.

If you’ve contributed, please disregard this or help pass it on elsewhere on the web if you can. Some of you have done more than I could have ever expected and for that I’m very thankful!