relativeVelocity...?

…doesn’t say so in the documentation - is it measured in m\s?

No, it’s the same units as rigidbody.velocity (which can be m/s if you say it is). Also it’s a Vector3.

–Eric

Hey, Eric,

Sorry - don’t understand - it can be m/s? Do I have to change a setting in Unity to get this?

If not, how do I convert to m\s? I’d need to know the original units to do this conversion…?

Cheers,

SB

To get the meters per second I believe you need to multiply the relative velocity with delta time?

is that correct, then?

So I did a little experiment - a sphere with mass of 1 falling to a plane and reporting it’s speed using the Fixed Update function.

If I did the following:

    rigidbody.velocity.magnitude/Time.deltaTime

I got the correct result.

After 1 second, speed = 9.8m\s
After 2 seconds, speed = 19.62m\s
After 3 seconds, speed = 29.43m\s

So that’s essentially it! The only issue with this is that the object appears to keep accelerating forever, which is a bit of a problem for realistic simulation. :slight_smile:

If that’s how you’ve set things up, then yes. All units in Unity are arbitrary; it can be miles/s or cm/s if you want. The only thing that makes a unit a “meter” by default is having -9.81 in the y axis of the gravity settings. I don’t think things accelerate forever if they have any drag on them.

–Eric