When will the new GUI get released?

When will this new retained GUI will get released? I just want to plan on my budget so I can do the Unity4 upgrade when the new GUI is out. Hopefully its not going to be in 5.0 :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks in advance.

When it’s done (as always) :slight_smile:

Never plan on anything that’s not available right now.

–Eric

This.

Exactly. Make a purchase based on what’s available now, not for a feature that has been promised but not arrived yet. You can’t rely on a feature ever being available, so…

Put it this way, it was originally suggested that it would be out with the 3 release, then the 3 cycle, then the 4 cycle, 4.1 has just come out about a week ago… I wouldn’t hold your breath. As others have said budget and plan with what’s available now…

Do not wait; the time will never be ā€œjust right.ā€ Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along.

  • Napolean Hill

vaporware…

I wouldn’t expect it until 4.5 at the earliest; from everything ArenMook has said since he’s been brought on with Unity we can infer two things.

  1. A lot of the back end stuff required for the UI is currently slated for 4.3 (overhaul of the internal event system depreciating things like OnMouseEnter and adding things like OnMouseEnterEvent), but the GUI itself is not
  2. We shouldn’t expect the GUI soon

Q: When will the GUI be released.
A: Yes!

Wow, looks like this is a poplar topic LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok, thanks all for the kindly replies, I will see what I can do on my GUI with the existing Unity, thanks again.

I don’t think there are any alternatives so I don’t see how I cannot rely on it…

There’s NGUI, or any of the other fine GUI packages. I’m eagerly awaiting the new GUI as much as the next developer (we are a full time Unity shop) - but pretending that there’s no alternative to waiting an indeterminate amount of time for a GUI system we know next to nothing about is disingenuous at best.

Don’t fall into the trap of saying ā€œthere’s going to be a better tool tomorrow to do what I want to do today, I should waitā€ forever. If your making a hobby project then there’s absolutely nothing wrong with OnGUI and GUITexture/GUIText for your UI. If you make a great game that’s legitimately held back by a lack of funding for NGUI, take it to kickstarter - I’m sure you’ll raise the $95 pretty quickly with an 80% complete game that looks decent (and heck, raise the funds for some mobile licenses while you’re at it).

The lack of a real first party GUI solution sucks, for a lot of reasons - but it’s still pretty much the best engine out their for an indie developer looking to target multiple platforms. While not first party, NGUI is great - and honestly dirty cheap for it’s value.

NGUI and eDriven.GUI are more than solid alternatives. Which one is better depends on what one wants to create.
For games likely NGUI wins, for more business alike applications or data heavy ones, I would prefer eDriven.GUI any day.

I don’t have $100… especially for something that I should have got for free last year <.<

I don’t want to use OnGUI as my whole game is only two draw calls I wouldn’t want to blow that out of the water with something that should be just one. But my game is far off needing a GUI now so I’ll just work on other parts until the time comes.

Rolled my own gui in all our games. Not hard.

Would rather Unity got it just right.

Did you try Squid, ScaleForm or Iggy? :wink:

Important controls:

  • ListView,
  • Tabbed Page Control
  • Fully working and usable combo box
  • Listbox
  • Edit control with Masked-edit
  • Data connectors
  • Sliders
  • Progress bars.

1197356--47694--$unitygui.jpg

There has been a lot of long term heat that Unity’s received due to issues with the GUI, slowness, clunkiness, 2D-ness, etc… that has built up over time, and I think this is maybe eclipsing the importance of the GUI system to the point where once this new GUI thing actually arrives it won’t be a big enough thing in its own right to make up for all the animosity, and people will still continue to be deflated and complain all the time. It’ll probably take more time than just having the GUI available for Unity to brush off the critical onslaught, which isn’t 100% their fault.

n0mad that is so cool LOL!!