"Your browser does not support WebGL" Error message

Hi,

I’m running a WebGL application in production on Firefox 62 and Unity 2018.2.1f1 and periodically getting reports of an error appearing “Your browser does not support WebGL”. It seems to happen intermittently on a system that has otherwise been running the application with no issues.
It’s possible the error is triggered by users exiting the application part way through loading and then going back into it, but i’m still trying to confirm if this is the case. The application is running within an iframe and to exit it, the user will click a button which removes the iframe from the DOM.
It seems like the only way to recover from the error is to close and re-open the browser.

What are the triggers for this error (other than the browser not actually supporting WebGL) and could there be anything wrong with the setup I’ve described that might cause it to occur?

I first thought it could be something along the lines of the browser running out of WebGL contexts but with it being in an IFrame I figured this may not be the case.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

3861178--327136--Screenshot 2018-11-06 at 10.45.40.png

I’ve managed to grab the console when this error occurs:

"Failed to create WebGL context: WebGL creation failed:

  • Error during ANGLE OepnGL init
  • Exhausted GL driver caps"

3871045--328516--console.png

1 Like

Sounds like this might be one of those WebGL video card driver incompatibilities.

https://www.khronos.org/webgl/wiki/BlacklistsAndWhitelists

It’s very similar but the error message is slightly different I think, when it’s due to the blacklist you get an error saying something like ‘Error: WebGL: Disallowing antialiased backbuffers due to blacklisting’.
Also the system would be running the 3D fine a few seconds before, then after exiting and then going back into the application, the error would then occur. Closing the browser and then re-opening again seems to resolve it. It’s quite intermittent but I think it might be related to the application not exiting cleanly.

same me too when I check edge had no problem but chrome had serious issue when I use chrome to play Vega Conflict I think some kind of glitch

6501980--732236--Screenshot 2020-11-08 225154.png

If you type in Chrome address bar the web page chrome://gpu/, it will show you internal details about what Chrome thinks about your graphics card.

If you are running Firefox, you can type about:support in the address bar to get similar details.

In Edge you can go to the web page edge://gpu/ for the details. (the same chrome://gpu/ also works)

If you attach the results here as a file attachment, we can help investigate whether it is something that is a browser issue, or a hardware limitation.

You can also try raising the GPU report into a bug report over to Chromium bug tracker to see what the browser authors would say about the issue.