2DVLS is currently unavailable. I am working on the next version right now, please keep an eye on this thread for further information!
Jake
10/16/2015
2DVLS is currently unavailable. I am working on the next version right now, please keep an eye on this thread for further information!
Jake
10/16/2015
Looks Ace!
Thanks! The events the lights give off will hopefully make for some useful gameplay. If anything this is a fun toy to play with!
Jake
That really is very nice indeed.
lol hey thanks. Still not at the caliper of some of your amazing mega-fiers stuff!
Jake
Hey
This looks really great! Can I just ask, would this work in a 3d environment? I am not thinking about using this for volume light but instead as a viewcone for an npc.
Looks awesome!
It kinda sorta does. The only issue with using it in a different plane is the UV mapping wasn’t made to support that so it will be a bit funky. Right now the only UV mapping that is supported is x-y plane.
If you want to use this as a view cone using the Events then as long as your using an invisible view cone I don’t think there would be a problem.
I attached a pic of it in 3D on the X-Z Plane.
http://www.reverieinteractive.com/Light2DSamples/xzplane.png
If you are interested in multiple UV mapping planes then let me know and I can implement it in the next release.
Jake ![]()
Also added a new demo scene.
Thanks for the reply ![]()
Well what I am thinking of using it for is an isometric stealth game with only a single height level… a little like the old Commandos games if you played that but with a 3d camera that you can pan around the characters. As long as I only have one height level then you current system should work fine right?.
If its not a big hassle for you to add support for multiple uv mapping planes then of course that would be a great addition to your product ![]()
Cheers
Actually its not a big hassle at all to add that type of support.
As I said, it will work for your use but the UV mapping will be kinda messy. So as long as you don’t immediately expect the UV mapping to be correct then there is no problem. In the mean time I will get the UV mapping implemented in multiple axis’.
Jake
nice. do your scripts generate any runtime garbage collection? And suitable for mobile?
Does this play nice with the likes of 2D Toolkit or SM2?
I have not tested on Mobile but I can implement IDisposible and you can dispose of the object properly as needed. I am also putting in the feature that turns the lights off when they are not in view of the camera. Is this what you mean?
I am still kinda new to the whole usefulness and when to implement the IDisposible thing and was actually recently stumped on it during an interview ;). Sense I am self-taught, there are these things that I have missed because they never became an issue for me! lol
Any advice or help would be useful I want to make this as versatile as possible!
It plays nicely with any sort of collider. I believe the 2D toolkit has the built in colliders so it should work no problem. I can test it out and make sure for you though.
Really nice!!!
No I mean, do you do any allocations at run time or do you preallocate everything including arrays? The former would cause spikes while running an app, and lead to mobiles crying.
Hey I sent you a PM. I try not to allocate much of anything during run-time unless its necessary.
Jake
2DVLS Is now only $15! As I mentioned in my first post I wanted feedback on pricing and due to the interest I decided it would be best to lower the price to $15 which will make this super affordable.
Enjoy,
Jake
Looks very cool, I´m assuming it works with Free and Pro versions.
Thus this require any specific shader to be used? Or is independent…
You could add some kind of tutorial/ docs. Even if its very simple it would allow us to see the workflow in a familiar place → the UnityEditor ![]()
I was wondering if this worked for Free as it doesn’t seem to be explicitly stated anywhere - I would also be interested to know if it works well with 2Dtoolkit. Looks very good though and pending these answers I’ll certainly pick it up for this new price!
//EDIT: Additionally I am wondering if there is any way to edit the masking style? Could it support transparency for softened edges, and what about fall off for the mask - so instead of infinitely stopping the light behind the object it would eventually … fade back to light (surely that doesn’t make as much sense as I want it to)?