3DS Max Skeletal Animation Import Problem

Hey all,

So I’m new to getting character animations into Unity so I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere or a dumb question (but I did check all the docs before posting and couldn’t find anything that delt with this).

Anyway, I have a skeletal animation on a character I want to bring in… it’s a snake-like slithering, so in 3DS Max 9 I used a spline IK system with helper points to create the animation. In Max the animation plays beautifully, but after I export the .FBX and import it into Unity, everything imports… and the helper points still animate properly, but the bones (and thus the skin) no longer follow the helper points - they just sit there.

I have other bones on the character that do not have IK chains of any kind on them and their animations come in fine.

So… can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks.

Try going to the import settings of the asset and clicking the “Bake IK and simulation” box. Don’t know much about this but that box sometimes has to be checked for it to work.

Yeah, I should have mentioned when I go into the model’s Import Settings, the ‘Bake IK and Simulation’ box is grayed out… how do I ungray it?

Hmm, I don’t know what is going on here. Sorry, hope someone else can help.

I believe that the “Bake IK…” option is only available when importing Maya files, as the baking is done inside Maya before exporting to fbx.

Yes, Maya is yet the only app, that can import ik animation directly.

http://unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/HOWTO-ImportObjectMaya.html

hi,
If you wish to animate a mesh with a skin/IK → fbx without Biped, you must unfortunately use the IK History Dependent.
http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=3385

Damn… that… really sucks. C’mon Unity, how about showing a little love to us Max users? Anyway, thanks for the responses guys, looks like I gotta figure out some work-around…

I agree, for me this is a disaster. This stops me dead in my tracks with Unity. Total bummer.
I hope some solution can be found.

Kind Regards,

Joe

The reason why “Bake simulation IK” can’t work with FBX files is that it’s an export option.

So find a similar-sounding checkbox inside 3DSMAX and use that. I’m not an expert in 3DSMAX, but I’ve seen just that work.

d.

Ok, so maybe I’m an idiot. But I can’t find that kind of option anywhere. I have two versions of Max available to me: 7 and 9. Here are the dialogue boxes for FBX export for each. Does anyone know where the ‘Bake IK’ option can be found?


33783--1225--$max7dialogue_108.jpg

Um … I can’t.

This makes me glad I paid $109 for Cheetah 3d and not $xxxx to upgrade my Max license :-/

Can you send in the .max file via Report Bug.app (can be found via Unity’s menu bar) for us to take a look at?

Done and done. Thanks for taking the time out to help me… I very much appreciate it.

Not, it is not really a problem, I use the biped 3DSmax with Modif. Skin and export fbx 2006 to animate dolphins, birds, snakes? and animations by skeleton function perfectly in Unity !

Not, it is not really a problem, I use the biped 3DSmax with Modif. Skin and export fbx 2006 to animate dolphins, birds, snakes? and animations by skeleton function perfectly in Unity !

Yes, the biped works properly we know, but the Spline IK doesn’t seem to.

I realize it’s been two years, but was there ever any resolution to this issue?

Did anyone ever find a way to use IK with bones in 3ds Max? Since it was submitted and all -

With 2.5 out now, the flood gates to the PC world have been opened - 3ds Max is the most popular game development animation software in the world AFAIK - and there are going to be alot of questions about how to use 3ds Max with Unity. Yes Biped works fine, but I am specifically talking about Bones and IK.

Thanks,

/Brad

www.3dcognition.com

Using max2009(although I prefer maya :)) here with the FBX version 2009.3 Build number 20080926 and that works fine.
In the export controls just make sure you check “Bake Animations” and if exporting mesh “Deformations” also has to be checked.

Thanks Media3d that is useful info!

I have been reading elsewhere on the forums that the 2006.11 FBX Exporter was the best way to bring data into Unity so that kind of threw me off track.

For anyone else interested, I did not have to rotate my character so that the head is up in positive Y like we have to do with Bipeds - and as long as your main bone is called rootJoint, you should be good to go once you drop in the Third Person Controller script and the Third Person Player Animation script.

Here is a link to the Autodesk website where you can download the 2009.3 (and other) FBX plug-in. If the link below becomes outdated, just go to the Services and Support page and search on fbx.

/ Brad
www.3dcognition.com