Another newbie question: lighting

Hi again,
So I’m working on a tunnel system, and plan to using teleport points to avoid having to punch through the terrain… so for testing purposes, I’ve been using the tunnel as a “covered bridge” over my grand chasm. After getting the mesh collider to finally work correctly, I turned my attention to the fact it is simply too bright in the tunnel. being that it is about 1/2 mile (game scale) with no windows or gaps, it should be near pitch black a little ways in. I tried turning down scene ambient light intensity, and at under .2, the inside of the tunnel was how I wanted it, but the outside scene became way too dark. raising the ambient intensity to .3 made the outside acceptable (still a little dark for me, but I could live with it), but the tunnel again became too bright. I could not find any ambient settings on the material shader…

Also due to just playing, the one end of the tunnel was fully walk in/out of, while the other end was mostly buried in the terrain. When I walked towards the mostly buried end, things were nicely dark, where when I turned around and walked back the other way, there was a lot of light bounce/reflective light that was penetrating way too deep into the tunnel, and I have no idea on how to reduce that…

So basically, the question is, how do I make the deep dark areas dark, while keeping the outside bight and sunny? Am I going to have to script it so that once I hit a certain point, it drops the scene ambient intensity? Is this even possible? or is there a even simpler way that I’m simply not seeing?

Thanks

An image would help.

Is your tunnel static?

Yeah, I was going to get screenshots last night, but it was getting late. I might not have time before work, if not, I’ll post some later…

And yes, at the moment, the tunnel is static.

So, I had the time…

Image 1: outside what I want it to look like: currently using skybox default for ambient set at 1, 1 directional light

Image 2: What I get when I reduce the ambient to make the inside dark. (ambient set at .2)
I

Image 3: What I want the tunnel interior to look like, so I can add glowy things, and bad things can happen (ambient at .2)

Image 4: This is the one that really perplexes me. I’m standing in the same spot as image 3, but simply turned around. There is simply too much light that far in…

Image 5: This is what the tunnel looks like when the scene ambient is set to 1, for the outside look I like.

[Edited to put images inline for easier understanding - Mod]

I believe it’s because of the reflection probes. Either set up and bake proper reflection probes in there, or put reflection intensity to 0 in the lighting panel.

You may want to post this in the graphics section to get more detailed information.

You will also find that the lighting system in Unity 5 will take some directionality into consideration, so looking towards the sun will look different from looking away from the sun, as there are different surfaces and different bounce…

Now, I’m unclear what the best way is to light a mixed lighting environment would be, but, if you’re underground, you dont’ really want any contribution from the main directional light… but only from “practical light” shining in the closed area. Additionally, it may be possible that light is leaking in from non-welded seams, but I’m unclear about that in your case.

It might also be worth reading this to get an idea of what’s going on under the hood:
http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/graphics/lighting-and-rendering

But… someone in graphics might have more insight.
http://forum.unity3d.com/categories/graphics.75/