I am using Unity 6000.2.6f1 with URP.
My goal is to have a strict black-and-white post processing effect that basically uses a smoothstep to make eveything either black or white. This effect is to be applied before other post processing effects - especially before bloom.
This is why in my custom renderer feature I have set the render pass event to “Before Rendering Post Processing”.
Against my expectations, this fully removes all bloom:
This is my settings:
And this the resulting image: The white light bulbs have high emission and should bloom very much, but they don’t. The arrows are fully black as expected:
I then tried other render pass events and figured out, that bloom will be visible as soon as I set the pass event to “Before Rendering Opaques”:
Which lead to bloom being shown correctly but the stepper effect is gone - as you can see on the slight grey shading of the black arrow:
So my questions are:
- Is Bloom rendered in the Opaque step?
- Can I somehow achieve, that my custom post processing effect is rendered before bloom?
Thank you!



