Architectural walk through Work-In-Progress

Here’s something I’m working on. Got a ways to go yet, but here it is atm.

http://www.jdviz.com/unity/wip.html

Not a bad start, but it runs pretty slowly on my iMac (maybe a couple frames per second). I’m guessing you imported the model from a CAD app and the poly count is probably enormous. I also saw a number of poly “edges” that had gaps (also a sign of an imported CAD model).

That’s exactly right. 90% of my time is killing poly details and creating texture details in their place.

The model came from an overly detailed sketchUp model which I brought into 3DS Max to clean up. It does run slow, but I’m slowly working on it. One wall at a time.

JD-

Make sure your mesh object count is low too (combine meshes into one object). Fewer draw calls = good.

Yeah, I’ve done that already. My poly count is WAY too high.

For architectural visualization, it’s a hard line to draw in the sand between poly details, texture details, and performance.

i really like these webplayer walkthoughs,looked everywhere,unfortunately some rooms you cant get into:)
reminded me of school,at first my monster machine heaved a bit but was better inside.
nice job

Really good.

Good example of design utilisation for unity.

Ran very smooth on my PC.

-LW

I want your PC lol!

looks cool, big place, is the shadow in real time or baked? looks like real time to me. But I had problems with shadow when the scene ranges very large, shadow gets very low-res.

How did you solve this?

I played with the scale of my overall model mostly. Then messed with the quality settings balance of renderer/light/shadows until it looked right.

I love the architectural design. So vertically lush, lots of space and light above your head, but horizontal space looks restricting in contrast. Especially the long corridor with rooms on both sides. However, if this is a business, uh, “place” (what’s the correct term for buildings that exclusively host individual offices?) it should be ok, but if this is a school design (I probably got this impression due to the school bus), the corridor should probably be wider.

By the way, you should decrease the camera height a little.

Nice job, played smooth on my iMac under WinXP, haven’t tried in OSX yet sorry.

I like running up and down the hallway, but couldn’t find any rooms to enter. I wanted to go into a room and look out at the scenery.

Very nice. It also runs a bit slow on my system. I’ve been trying to do something like this. So you used 3DS Max to create this?

I have C4D and I would like to recreate my room. I’ve been asking around but no one seems to want to answer me.

I know you could create things in unity but I wanted to know which was the best way to go about doing this. Should I use untiy to create my props like furniture and appliances etc. or should I used 3D software such as C4D to create them and just import them into unity?

Wow that is nice job.

Actually, a single drawcalls for that probably wouldn’t be very beneficial, that scene would benefit a lot from occlusion culling.

Runs quite slow for what it is…

Considering he’s most likely imported the entire building as a single model, Unity is doing quite well for itself.

That said, it never dropped below 40fps on my laptop, what are you running it on, a 486? :slight_smile:

c2d e6750
4gb ram
8800gt

If that’s not enough, then well, something’s wrong.
What’s 486?

Well my laptop is the basically the same as that (except its got two 8700’s (so it claims… runs like a POS normally).

4gb of ram, the 2.4ghz Core2Duo (mobile, gay) cpu.

Update your video card drivers or something :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s exactly what I did. The building is one model, the vehicles are separate models, and the terrain is the Unity Terrain object.

I’ve been continuing the cleaning process of the building, getting rid of coplanars, and unnecessary polys where maps will do the job. Also will allow acces to a couple of the classrooms.

Will be posing the new wip soon.

JD-