Hello, I recently have been using the Linux version of the editor to work on my game without having to use my other, slower, Windows machine, and so far the editor has worked flawlessly for me. However, I am having issues with running a built game. I was able to get a game compiled no problem, and when I run the game, it gets to the launcher where you set the graphics settings and input. Once I progress past this screen and launch the game, however, it simply crashes. Sometimes I see a window with just the background color for a brief moment before it crashes, and other times it just crashes without a trace. The game runs flawlessly in the editor, and I’ve tried compiling as a 64-bit executable and a universal executable. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Please do a: inxi -Fxz
and post the results.
I got the following:
I’m going to see if installing it works, and edit with the result.
EDIT: Nope. Here’s the result, I feel stupid, didn’t realize inxi was a diagnostic program.
I see you have Mesa, now, I am going to put up a BIG disclaimer right now. I am NOT an expert. There are people here far more qualified than me, so if you do this, it’s on you.
But what if you used OpenGL, before that however, do this: glxinfo | grep OpenGL
and post the result. I am not 100% sure, but it might be a videocard/OpenGL issue.
Well, here’s the result:
So, if I understand correctly from your response, either the editor or the compiled game is not set to use OpenGL. I had assumed this was done by default, but if it’s not, how would I change this?
It’s using what just printed out there, for reference, here is mine:
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 352.63
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 352.63
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50 NVIDIA
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
Are you using the non-free recommended driver for your video card? Again, I am new to Unity on Linux, so I am just guessing trying to help you along.
As an example (take note I am on Linux Mint), here is the driver I had to select to get things working, I am not sure about your Intel chipset, but I suspect a similar problem:
Edit: I also forgot to ask, are you using the latest 5.3.1f1?
Oh, I actually updated the video card drivers last night (wasn’t under the proprietary drivers tab, I had to go to Intel’s website manually), so I don’t think it’s that. Also, I am using the latest Unity build, in case it helps.
Well crap. What if you run a: glmark2
You will probably need to fetch it, but it is small.
Installed and ran, gave me a rotating, textureless 3D horse, so I think my OpenGL is working.
EDIT (after seeing updated post): Yep, that’s exactly what I got.
Welp, so it’s not your videocard, and it’s not your OpenGL. I hate to ask a basic question, but did you try removing the Unity install folder, and then sudo reinstalling? I am really clawing for answers.
I might try that in a bit. I did, however, just try running a Windows export in Wine. I honestly was not expecting it to work, but it seemed to run almost flawlessly under Wine (which is not my typical experience with Unity games in Wine). I really, really hope this isn’t a problem on Unity’s end, or at the very least is something only in the Linux editor that could be worked around with using my Windows machine for compiling.
When you run build&run, it isn’t working. What if you just build, and then manually navigate to the folder and run it? Basically, instead of Unity kicking off the process, you do.
I’ve tried executing both through build and navigating to the folder and build & run. It doesn’t work either way.
EDIT: I’m attempting reinstall now, and will let it progress while I sleep. I’ll post again with the results in the morning.
EDIT 2: …or not. Reinstalling was really quick because I still had the installer in my Downloads folder. The export still did not work.
Alright, I am going to build a working small test, and I want you to try and run it and see if it works, give me a minute.
Alright, give this a try. See what happens.
https://gorillagong.com/helloworld.tar.gz
Attempting to run the Hello World you sent crashed in the same way as my project. I hope that means it’s on my end.
Alright, so good news is this rules out Unity.
Alright, see if this test file works.
https://gorillagong.com/test2.tar.gz

