Hi there,
Im wondering if anyone has a Cinema4d file that shows the joints operating in a way that also works in unity.
I basically wish to assign a joint or bone to a number of simple primitives in cinema4d and then control those within unity to reduce the draw calls.
I believe Ive rigged them in cinema4d ok (they move appropriately within the cinema4d environment) but I am unable to get the same functionality in unity.
Im pretty sure its operator error… 
Any help or pointers appreciated.
Regards
Not familiar with C4D so I don’t have any input, but I’m moving this to Support since it’s not specific to iPhone.
Straight fk should export fine (as should all position, rotation and scale on an object)
Ik or any animation not derived from PSR keys would need to be baked.
I’m assuming your using Unity 2.5? I saw some had issues with simple PSR animation before the update.
Good luck,
Sam
P.S. Pics or sample scenes are always helpful…
Joints dont work when importing in cinema4d 10 for me, but when I reverted back to bones I was able to play with them and import them in a way I can manipulate.
Yes, apparently, you have to use bones for now and not joints.
-Will
Well… here joints work.
When you have a moment try importing this to unity. I’m including both the original .c4d file and the .fbx file exported from it (since .c4d won’t import directly to unity at the moment on windows)
This scene uses both joints and ik… the ik is baked in order to make the trip. Don’t forget to change the wrap mode to loop in the inspector window after you drop in in a unity scene.
I’m using Unity 2.5 and Cinema 10.5 on a Mac. I’d be interested to hear how this works for you as I have no problem sending characters rigged and animated with joints from C4D to Unity.
Thanks,
Sam
151705–5521–$jointtest_573.zip (41.7 KB)
C4D to Unity works almost flawlessly for me (I’m on R11). The original c4d files import natively into Unity too.
Sorry about the problem, bones will work just fine for you I hope. 
I believe there was an update to the FBX export that isn’t available to R10 users.
-Will
Yep. R10 users have to use bones because of the c4d fbx exporter.
Thanks for the files drop - I’m able to load this in and the animation plays when I start the scene.
I also opened the .C4D and have modified the texture and saved it back out, as FBX and the animation is still playing!
Not sure why this is working for me - I see a null and skin is in there…
Well it gives me something to work on for now - thanks…
-Will